Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe drilling

Article about: Yesterday an old family friend surprised me by giving me a 1903 A3 that my grandfather, who was a gunsmith, had built years ago. He also said that one day (hopefully soon)he was going to giv

CG41330
    ?

Default Luftwaffe drilling

Yesterday an old family friend surprised me by giving me a 1903 A3 that my grandfather, who was a gunsmith, had built years ago. He also said that one day (hopefully soon)he was going to give me a Luftwaffe drilling that my great uncle had brought back from WWII. Unfortunately years ago my uncle, who was half mean and bad to drink, sold the drilling for $65. Well, the fellow who bought the drilling never paid for it, and returned it after he had dropped it in the mud and fired it destroying the end of the barrel. I had never heard of a drilling until yesterday, and after doing some research I realized how rare and sought after it is. What are the odds that I can either find a replacement barrel, or have one built. I'm not a rich man, and the gun will never be sold since I've heard stories of my uncles exploits in WWII since I was a child and looked up to him, but I would like to replace the barrel if possible.

Default Re: Luftwaffe drilling

Hi and welcome to the forum , Can you post a picture so the rest of the forum may know of what you are talking about? You will get more useful help and tips if pictures of the damage are posted.

Best regards, Tyrone (Ty)

CG41330
    ?

I'll need a little time on that one. The family friend who has it now is an old stern Vietnam vet, and I don't want to pester him about it. He told me it would be mine, and also where it was if something happened to him. It's hidden away right now, and I haven't seen it yet.

Here is a picture of a Luftwaffe Drilling in North Africa.. Waiting to be loaded into a German Aircraft along with other survival gear...BILL
    Attached Images Attached Images Luftwaffe drilling 
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Here is a link to A Luftwaffe Survival Drilling which will be in a auction this month...A extra set of bbls. would be almost impossible to find but I have seen stranger things happen....

RIA: The Finest Antique Firearms And Modern Gun Auction Company in The US.
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Nice find Bill. Due to the weapon being so scarce i agree with Bill that finding another barrel will be close to impossible.

What i would suggest is taking the "Drilling" to a professional gun smith/dealer who can manufacture parts. This procedure will not be cheap but the rifle you have or will eventually receive is worth the effort if the price is within reason.

When the barrel is completed your "Drilling" may not be original but is to the original specifications and detail. Make sure that you get back the original Barrel from the gunsmith !!

I hope this helps.

rgd's, Ty

I understand that money will be an issue and all of us can relate to that but if funds are not available right now the first thing you need to do is get the rifle in your possession. You may not be able to get the work done next week, month, year, just hold on to it when you can have it done. This is not a race for time. Don't let this rare piece go!

Almost anything as far as a firearm is concerned can be re-manufactured.

Ty

CG41330
    ?

Thanks guys, today I spoke with a gunsmith in Texas who is capable of rebuilding the barrel. He told me that he would need to inspect the gun in person, but he would expect it to cost around $6000 with a two year turn around. He mentioned that it might be cheaper and faster if I were to use another caliber for the rifle barrel. I will get the gun eventually, but I will spark some interest in the fellow who has it now if I make arrangements for a replacement barrel.