Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M 1 Garand, 1947

Article about: I've been offered a 1947 M1 Garand with a bunch of clips, bandoleer (sp) and 300 plus rounds of ammo. The rifle is reputedly complete with everything but the bayo. According to the seller, a

?

Default Re: M 1 Garand, 1947

Quote by MarkV View Post
    I agree that, assuming it is in very good condition, the price is fair. But, check it out thoroughly. I would even ask for the opportunity to take it to a gunsmith to have him check the barrel and bore measurements - at $1000 they should be near perfect.

And, as always, but the rifle, not the story. Good luck!!
    For $1000 I would make sure to check the bore measurements before I bought it. Head space and bore condition should be pristine for that price. Good luck on your purchase.

Wood and Parkerizing should be pretty much new as well.
    The leather scabbard is likely for vehicle mounting.

Please post photos if you buy it.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

I have it at home and will take pictures soon. I have no idea what this guy was talking about regarding it being a 1947 armory refurbish.
    This rifle was clear produced in Nov. 1944.
    It needs a good cleaning but I'll post pictures prior to that happening and clean later.
    I got the price a little under the $1,000.00 mark and have a 7 day return policy. Turns out I actually know the collector he got it from. Since
    I'ved moved here I realize all these guys are car nuts and they use their gun collections to barter for rusty parts ...

Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

Got you some pictures finally . For some reason I never know in what order they will show so I'll give you a fast run down. There is one with the lot of items that I got with the purchase. The canvase gun bag is no big deal but the leather scabard is pretty cool (1942), a canteen (cover and kit 1945 - bottle 1944) and a bunch of clips including 3 bandolers (370 some rounds).

Now for the fun thing. According to what I've found this M1 was manufactured November 1944 and any more info you can provide will be helpfull. In the pictures this is exactly how it was handed to me so in the next few days I will field strip and give it a good cleaning. The big white mountain was just tossed in because it looked so nice .
    M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947M 1 Garand, 1947
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

Thanks for the pics Rudy I like the look of it and the mountain. Let me know what the gunsmith says.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Nice one. I like that all those accessories and ammo came with it.
    A light cleaning will be all she needs.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Looks like a exellent buy at 1K. I have a friend in Portland who is the best M-1 Garand armorer (former USMC) West of the Mississippi. He worked on mine and did an outstanding job. He can tell you anything you could ever want to know about your new rifle and make sure it is safe to shoot. PM me if you waould like me to introduce you to him. I need to visit him soon anyway.

Burt

By the way, I live on the West slope of the Mt. in the backround.

Burt

Thanks guys, appreciate you taking a look.
    Burt, I'll get in touch with you. Thanks for the offer.

Rudy
    Frank Zappa

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Nice one. I like that all those accessories and ammo came with it.
    A light cleaning will be all she needs.........!
    I need to unbury all my cleaning kits and get some lindseed oil. Today perhaps.

Thanks, Rudy
    Frank Zappa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2