Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M 1911 A1 US Army

Article about: Hi everyone, I am looking for informations about this M 1911 A1 US Army from Ithaca. The serial number indicates that it has left the factory in 1943. But I do not understand why it is in si

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I'm sure 45 ammo is expensive over there, but at least you live in a country that respects the rights of their citizens and allows you to shoot such a wonderful firearm. There is a certain hard to define feeling you get when shooting a 45 vs a pop gun like the 9mm. Don't get me wrong, I love my 9mm H & K USP but the 45 just demands respect...

Enjoy it. I know I do.

Michael
    No, the 45 ammo isn't so much expensive. In Switzerland we have a really strong gun culture because of our milicia army system which allows us to keep the Swiss army assault rifle (Sig-550) at home. We are responsibilized to have a firearm at home.

I often go to shooting range with my Swiss Army Sig-550 and my Walther P38 of 1944, I love it! I used to try often a Colt M1911 A1 from WWII of a friend and wanted to have my own. You're right, it's a great feeling!! And what a sound!

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Over in the UK the value doesn't decrease at all on chromed Deacts.............
    Great to know, I hope it's the same in Switzerland! And the icing on the cake is that this gun isn't deact.

?

Waban I love the 1911's for me no other pistol feels and shoots like a 1911 . Hey your dad gave you a great gun even if its chromed. Gary

?

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Waban I love the 1911's for me no other pistol feels and shoots like a 1911 . Hey your dad gave you a great gun even if its chromed. Gary

You're right, thank you! I'm very glad for that and I will take care of it!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Waban View Post
    No, the 45 ammo isn't so much expensive. In Switzerland we have a really strong gun culture because of our milicia army system which allows us to keep the Swiss army assault rifle (Sig-550) at home. We are responsibilized to have a firearm at home.

I often go to shooting range with my Swiss Army Sig-550 and my Walther P38 of 1944, I love it! I used to try often a Colt M1911 A1 from WWII of a friend and wanted to have my own. You're right, it's a great feeling!! And what a sound!
    Yes, I know Switzerland is one of the enlightened countries. My former boss was a tank commander in the Swiss army and we spoke about it. Lucky for you.

And yes the "boom" is awesome. But the design makes it pleasant to shoot. Now go and wear it out
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

?

Sorry my phone did a double post

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Yes, I know Switzerland is one of the enlightened countries. My former boss was a tank commander in the Swiss army and we spoke about it. Lucky for you.

And yes the "boom" is awesome. But the design makes it pleasant to shoot. Now go and wear it out
    US aren't so bad too for gun lovers.

Of course, I will enjoy it now!

You can have the chrome removed and the original finish restored as well as adding the correct grips, the cost would not be cheap. Unless this pistol is a family piece it's probably not cost effective. In it's current state it's considered to be a shooter, no collector value. I would guess it's value to be around 500.00 in it's current state.

?

Quote by lkgmadmax View Post
    You can have the chrome removed and the original finish restored as well as adding the correct grips, the cost would not be cheap. Unless this pistol is a family piece it's probably not cost effective. In it's current state it's considered to be a shooter, no collector value. I would guess it's value to be around 500.00 in it's current state.
    Thank you for your advice. I think I will use it as a shooter and will try to find an original one.

Here's a picture with a WW2 era grips (late war Colt, couldn't find early war Ithaca at this time).

M 1911 A1 US Army

And here with handmade grips, made in Vietnam from water buffalo bones.

M 1911 A1 US Army

?

Despite the messed with finish, still a nice handgun to possess.
    One of the best in fact!

Brad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast