Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M-43 Spanish Mauser

Article about: Hi all, I have owned an M-43 Spanish Mauser for many years. The bolt matches the receiver as do the other parts, however the safety is mismatched. The bore shows very sharp rifling, but is d

Default M-43 Spanish Mauser

Hi all,

I have owned an M-43 Spanish Mauser for many years. The bolt matches the receiver as do the other parts, however the safety is mismatched. The bore shows very sharp rifling, but is dark. I see no rust. It is in very good condition, but certainly not pristine. Date is 1947.

I have never fired it, but am interested in doing so as soon as it cools down in AZ.

Question: is it safe to fire with surplus military ammunition? Any ideas as to value?

Thanks for any information you may be able to provide.

Hey Drill Sergeant. Just to be certain I would have a gunsmith check it out before firing. I assume it is still in 8 MM and usually factory loaded rounds are loaded down from Remington or Federal but have it checked for pitting before firing. My 98k seems a bit dark too but shoots well.

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Hey Drill Sergeant. Just to be certain I would have a gunsmith check it out before firing. I assume it is still in 8 MM and usually factory loaded rounds are loaded down from Remington or Federal but have it checked for pitting before firing. My 98k seems a bit dark too but shoots well.
    Thank for your reply.

Yes. 8mm. I have many 8mm surplus ammo rounds that I have fired in my 98k's without issue. Was concerned about the quality of the Spanish steel.

Quote by drill sergeant View Post
    Thank for your reply.

Yes. 8mm. I have many 8mm surplus ammo rounds that I have fired in my 98k's without issue. Was concerned about the quality of the Spanish steel.
    Heard that rumor too but just as many say the steel is OK and not too mild. Glad ya got some surplus as the factory loaded rounds are quite expensive. Bass Pro near me wants thirty-eight bucks for $20. OUCH!

Agree. I finally decided to fire a few of the many Arisaka's that sit in my safe. Wow. $28-$55 for 20 depending on which brands are purchased. Guess they'll be sitting in my safe a little longer.

I roll my own; for those I fire often. Don't shoot the 8mm's much and I purchased bunches of surplus 8mm & 7.62X54R before the last ammo fiasco. I'll be shooting that stuff almost forever.

I had a 43 Spanish Mauser for many years. It was my shooting rifle as opposed to the more valuable 98K's I had. It had an incredibly strong action and would swallow any of the suped up hand loaded shells I had packed that I wished to run through it without a whimper.(and some of those hand loads would about push me back a step or 2 to shoot!) I would not worry at all about yours, but as said, to be triple safe, you may as well have a smith sniff it over and measure the head space. Mil Surplus? I would buy the old Berdan primed Yugoslav 8mm rounds by the wooden cases. Every 10th round was a dud, but the rest cycled through the little Spaniard without a blink.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

No problem firing mine with any kind of milsurp ammo.

?

Quote by drill sergeant View Post
    Hi all,

I have owned an M-43 Spanish Mauser for many years. The bolt matches the receiver as do the other parts, however the safety is mismatched. The bore shows very sharp rifling, but is dark. I see no rust. It is in very good condition, but certainly not pristine. Date is 1947.

I have never fired it, but am interested in doing so as soon as it cools down in AZ.

Question: is it safe to fire with surplus military ammunition? Any ideas as to value?

Thanks for any information you may be able to provide.
    If you are going to wait till it cools off it might be September before you can shoot it.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    If you are going to wait till it cools off it might be September before you can shoot it.
    Maybe October (sigh)!