Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

M1 Carbine newbie...

Article about: My cousin Marco got in on the action as well:

Default Re: M1 Carbine newbie...

Quote by MarkV View Post
    My guess is that your mag catch is worn, too. That's the button you push in to release the magazine. if the catch is worn - and the magazines are a it worn, too you have that problem. The mag catch is an easy fix - you can do it yourself in a minute at most. If you want to try, let me know. I think I have a spare catch I can send you.
    After cleaning and oiling my carbine (hope I did that right...)I took a closer look at the mag catch. When the two "broken" mags are inserted, it seems like the mag catch doesn't return to it's "locked" position all the way. If I jiggle one of the "broken" mags, the mag catch fully locks. With the other broken mag, no matter what I do the damn thing wont lock. Here's a picture (I put orange stickers on the "broken" mags to differentiate them from the "working" one.):

Thank you so much for offering a mag catch... but I couldn't impose.

I also encountered two problems(?) while cleaning and oiling for the first time.

First, one of the pins that holds the trigger grouping together almost popped out. I had noticed it and pushed it back in. Nothing fell out of the trigger grouping.

Second, as I ran a tooth brush over this part, it started coming unscrewed... so I screwed it all the way back down with my fingers. Hopefully I didn't mess this up...

Finally, here are some mystery markings on my carbine:

B/R in a square

I also noticed my oiler is marked: SI
    Quote by MarkV View Post
    Your magazines should also be marked with a manufacturer stamp - on the back edge.
    The mag that doesn't lock in no matter what I do is marked "U." The mag that doesn't work unless I insert it and then jiggle is marked "O-S." The mag that works no matter what is marked: "S-L."

Quote by MarkV View Post
    You can't be unhappy with that grouping given that the weapon has not been sighted for you. And, although people get hung up with how many they can put in the 10 ring, if you were firing at center mass of an enemy soldier you'd have hit 13 times. Good work!
    Thanks! During my first 15 shots I was more concerned with whether or not the rifle was working properly. I also had the problem of my mags falling out to deal with...

When I finally figured that out, I set the target up 30ish yards away and did my best. I never adjusted the sights or used carbine style iron sights for that matter! I'm pleased with my first time effort and things can only get better from here on!
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 09-05-2011 at 12:09 AM.

I believe the part I screwed in with my fingers is the piston nut? Should this be loose?

?

The hammer on your carbine was originally made for a Rock-ola and the trigger housing for a Quality Hardware. The rear sight was made by Hemphill - these sights were only used on Winchester and Rock-ola late war carbines so it probably found its way onto yours during rebuild.

I can't rell much about the mag catch without seeing the face of the catch and the back of the "bad" magazines. If the catch isn't retracting properly it might also be a spring issue - again an easy replacement.

The part you loosened should be tight - it holds the gas piston in place and is what allows the rifle to cycle and eject the spent casing and seat the next round in the chamber.

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I believe the part I screwed in with my fingers is the piston nut? Should this be loose?

It should be tight but hand tight should be OK.

Thanks for all the help Mark!

Hopefully these pics will help you:

What do you think about the crack in my stock? Should I be worried about it, or should I just consider it salty, ~70yrs of battle experience and character?

?

The magazines look OK to me. It's hard to see in your pic of the catch but it looks worn on the right side. When you push it in does it snap back into place? it's hard to diagnose based on the pics but it still seems that it might be a spring or warn catch issue.

You might want to try putting some wood glue in the crack - use a tooth pic and a little at a time and wipe it down quickly if you get excess outside the crack. It will probably be ok, especially if you aren't shooting it all the time. If it appears to be expanding, you can always have someone put a pin in it for you.

Mark

Quote by MarkV View Post
    The magazines look OK to me. It's hard to see in your pic of the catch but it looks worn on the right side. When you push it in does it snap back into place? it's hard to diagnose based on the pics but it still seems that it might be a spring or warn catch issue.
    I wouldn't say the mag catch snaps back into place, but it does move back very quickly. I'll bring my carbine to the gunshop tomorrow (if by slim chance they're open), or just wait until Tuesday. I need at least another 150rnds anyway

Quote by MarkV View Post
    You might want to try putting some wood glue in the crack - use a tooth pic and a little at a time and wipe it down quickly if you get excess outside the crack. It will probably be ok, especially if you aren't shooting it all the time. If it appears to be expanding, you can always have someone put a pin in it for you.
    Mark
    Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and do that soon. I'll put some wood glue on a dental pick and carefully put it in the crack. I'll get some sort of clamps that wont damage my stock, and I'll clamp it down overnight.

Do you have any beginner tips for stripping and cleaning/ oiling?

Finally, I purchased this exact pouch to put on my carbine. It'll fit, right ...?

The Collector's Guild

?

By stripping, do you mean taking the action apart and field stripping the rifle? You can find directions online by Googleing. It's pretty easy once you do it a few times. I just oil the various pieces and then wipe the excess off.

The pouch you have is a late model - the earlier ones used a single piece that covered the back of the pouch and the belt slipped through it. Even those take a bit of stretching to slide over the butt stock. Since the straps on this model don't go all the way to the top/bottom of the pouch, you might have trouble getting it to work.

Quote by MarkV View Post
    By stripping, do you mean taking the action apart and field stripping the rifle? You can find directions online by Googleing. It's pretty easy once you do it a few times. I just oil the various pieces and then wipe the excess off.
    I mean what should be done after firing the rifle. Just general cleaning and maintenance after a day of shooting.

You mentioned pretty much exactly what I did. I also used some cleaning cloths and a bristle brush that fit onto a cleaning rod cleaning the inside of the barrel.

Quote by MarkV View Post
    The pouch you have is a late model - the earlier ones used a single piece that covered the back of the pouch and the belt slipped through it. Even those take a bit of stretching to slide over the butt stock. Since the straps on this model don't go all the way to the top/bottom of the pouch, you might have trouble getting it to work.
    Oh boy... I hope it works! I overpaid for this one...

Mark, thank you very much for putting up with me and my questions! I owe you one!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast