Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

M1 Carbine newbie...

Article about: My cousin Marco got in on the action as well:

?

Default Re: M1 Carbine newbie...

Sounds like you had a fun day with your War Baby! The problem could very well be the recoil spring - easy replacement and inexpensive part. Actually, I have a few extra if you want to try that. I'm in northeast PA so it's a short mailing distance. Did you check the gas piston nut - the one you said was loose? That could also be a problem but if it's tight, it's probably OK. It might also be dirty gas piston, but my bet would be in the spring.

Mark

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Sounds like you had a fun day with your War Baby! The problem could very well be the recoil spring - easy replacement and inexpensive part. Actually, I have a few extra if you want to try that. I'm in northeast PA so it's a short mailing distance. Did you check the gas piston nut - the one you said was loose? That could also be a problem but if it's tight, it's probably OK. It might also be dirty gas piston, but my bet would be in the spring.

Mark
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response!

We had a very good time, but could only stay for about an hour.

I had a man who worked at the range and owned a carbine of his own take a look at mine. He said everything seemed to look ok... he just thought it was a random occurrence. I've put about 200rnds through my carbine since I got it and it has happened twice. I really do appreciate your offers, I just don't want to impose! I don't know how I could return the favor!

I did check the gas piston nut. Before we went shooting, I stripped my carbine and made sure it was tight by hand. When I got home and cleaned the carbine, I noticed it had backed out just a little again...

If I take the piston out, how do I clean it? I bought a piston wrench... I'm hoping it will help keep it tight.

Also, could you recommend some tips for using the carbine iron sights?

THANKS!

?

I'd still suggest replacing the spring. You'll be amazed at how smooth it will cycle. And, the springs can be found easily for $10 to $15 for an original USGI spring. You can clean the piston in any gun cleaning solvent. Look for any
    Spent powder accumulation.

The center blade of the front sight should be set on your aim point - ignore the protective blades. Is your strike point fairly consistent or are you all overvthe place?

Quote by MarkV View Post
    I'd still suggest replacing the spring. You'll be amazed at how smooth it will cycle. And, the springs can be found easily for $10 to $15 for an original USGI spring.
    Alright Mark, you've twisted my arm enough! If you have any spare parts that you'd be willing to send my way, can I at least pay you or trade something to you?

You can clean the piston in any gun cleaning solvent. Look for any
    Spent powder accumulation.
    Do I just take out the retaining nut and pull out the piston? Or are there small parts that I stand the risk of losing? That's my biggest fear when it comes to taking this thing apart. What I really need is someone to show me what to do step by step!

The center blade of the front sight should be set on your aim point - ignore the protective blades. Is your strike point fairly consistent or are you all over the place?
    In the picture of the two targets, mine is on the left. At close range, my strike points are pretty consistent. At 30yards I got 2 bullseyes and 3 in the next ring out (we were only allowed to load 5rnds into the mag at a time at this indoor range). I just think I need to become more comfortable with where to rest my cheek... whether or not to breathe or hold my breath, when to adjust the sights, not jerking the trigger, etc. I'm very inexperienced... so I don't have much to go off of.

I have another question for you, Mark (or anyone else willing to answer):

Is it ok to store my magazines with rounds loaded into them? Will it weaken the spring in the mag or cause any other problems?

I realize keeping mags loaded makes it easier for an unauthorized person to fire my rifle (they don't have to go through the step of loading rounds into a mag), but I keep both my rifle and ammo locked. The reason I ask this question is because space is at a premium where I keep my rifle...

?

It sounds like your carbine is pretty accurate - just a matter of you becoming comfortable and in better control of your breathing, etc.

Keeping rounds in the magazine long term will weaken the springs - but I always have a few loaded, too. I try to rotate them every month so you might just want to grab a few others and rotate them.

Here is a link to a parts diagram of the carbine. You can see the gas pston - pretty simple design.

M1 Carbine Parts Diagram

Send me a PM with your address info. I will send you a recoil spring - I have several and have already replaced all of mine. Don't worry about paying for it - my wife will be happy if I shed some of the parts I have on my workbench!!

Mark

Quote by MarkV View Post
    It sounds like your carbine is pretty accurate - just a matter of you becoming comfortable and in better control of your breathing, etc.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. It also probably didn't help that the range officer told us that we only had 5minutes left when we started our long range "competition"... so I felt a little rushed to put 15rnds down range. I also need to learn when to adjust the sights. Do the markings on the sight represent yardage?

Keeping rounds in the magazine long term will weaken the springs - but I always have a few loaded, too. I try to rotate them every month so you might just want to grab a few others and rotate them.
    Good to know! I currently have 3 15rnd mags, but I want to pick up at least 2 more. I'd also like to pick up a 5rnd mag or two for use at this indoor range I go to... I plan to shoot as much as possible, so this shouldn't be much of a problem. Will removing live rounds from mags cause damage to the casings/ lead to feed and jamming problems?

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Here is a link to a parts diagram of the carbine. You can see the gas piston - pretty simple design.
    Thanks, you're a life saver!

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Send me a PM with your address info. I will send you a recoil spring - I have several and have already replaced all of mine. Don't worry about paying for it - my wife will be happy if I shed some of the parts I have on my workbench!!

Mark
    Thanks Mark... I am without words! Your generosity blows me away. I promise I'll return the favor somehow... perhaps a tshirt from the recycling facility that my family owns (we find TONS of militaria), or a tshirt from the school that I teach at?

You wife will be pleased that you're getting rid of parts... but my girlfriend wont be too happy with the "clutter"!

THANKS A LOT!

?

Quote by MarkV View Post
    I'd still suggest replacing the spring. You'll be amazed at how smooth it will cycle. And, the springs can be found easily for $10 to $15 for an original USGI spring. You can clean the piston in any gun cleaning solvent.
    Ditto on the recoil spring, I had to replace the springs on my GM INLAND and the GM SAGINAW I used to own. The ammo makes a big difference as well.
    I used to have a case of 1952 LC stamped ammo, some of the rounds were pretty weak. The best carbine ammo I ever had was a case of 1978 PMC South Korean Military, those rounds were "hot". The WIN and REM commerical ammo I've used seem to work ok, I haven't tried the Russian Steel cased ammo yet.

Quote by PMKS View Post
    Ditto on the recoil spring, I had to replace the springs on my GM INLAND and the GM SAGINAW I used to own. The ammo makes a big difference as well.
    I used to have a case of 1952 LC stamped ammo, some of the rounds were pretty weak. The best carbine ammo I ever had was a case of 1978 PMC South Korean Military, those rounds were "hot". The WIN and REM commerical ammo I've used seem to work ok, I haven't tried the Russian Steel cased ammo yet.
    I've been using mostly this stuff:

At the range I had to use this:

?

No sweat, Joe. I sent you a PM. Just pay it forward my friend - help someone out along the road when you are a position to do it. Keep the spirit of collecting alive!

The yardage is marked on the adjustable sights. Also, remember that final adjustments for vertical strike was made by filing the front sight down. So, when someone else got the carbine, the front sight was typically changed if needed and resighted. Others might not feel the same but close counts for my shooting. I'm not worried about hitting the center of the bulls eye - just that I hit the torso on the target consistently.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast