Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

M1 Carbine newbie...

Article about: My cousin Marco got in on the action as well:

?

Default Re: M1 Carbine newbie...

Joe,

You can always just have a gunsmith restake it - a 10 second job. Otherwise, as long as you check it after firing you should be just fine.

The stock of my NPM was made by Trimble Nursery & Furniture of Rochester, NY - another supplier of stocks during WWII.

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Joe,

You can always just have a gunsmith restake it - a 10 second job. Otherwise, as long as you check it after firing you should be just fine.

The stock of my NPM was made by Trimble Nursery & Furniture of Rochester, NY - another supplier of stocks during WWII.
    My carbine currently has a TN marked stock.

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Beautiful rifles, Mark!

I think my gas piston nut problem is being blown out of proportion here... Each time I have shot my carbine, I'd put at least 50rnds thru her... sometimes as much as 150. The nut would back out maybe 1 or 2 turns, but NEVER completely. After each cleaning, I'd used my fingers to tighten the gas piston nut as much as possible. I have a USGI gas piston wrench, but up until recently, it was COVERED in cosmoline and I never used it. I recently cleaned the wrench and will now use it every time!

If I ever have a major problem with my IBM which causes me to rebuild it, I think I'd try to make it match original spec. In fact, I'd LOVE to put a Lumb stock on her... I just found out that Lumb was also a company from my home town, Poughkeepsie, NY. (IBM made their carbines in Poughkeepsie... which was a major factor for me buying this), AND my buddy Dan's grandpa was the shop foreman at Lumb during wartime!
    Joe,

I've shot many carbines over the years including thousand of rounds thru an M2 Inland Carbines and I have never seen the problem you are having. I would follow Mark's advise and have a gunsmith stake it for you. I would not want to expose the gas block to hot high pressure gases each time I fired it. I could be wrong but it might cause damage. Perhaps someone else more knowledgeable could chime in if there is a possibility of damaging the weapon if it is not staked properly.

I'll get it looked at, thanks!

Here is a pic of the carbine goodies I have:M1 Carbine newbie...

My IBM carbine is here Joe on the last page - My collection mainly US but growing...

Great looking IBM, Joe. Glad you are having so much fun with it.

It is cycles that wear out magazine springs, not leaving them loaded/compressed, so load them up.

Also, Wolff makes an M1 Carbine spring kit that includes the hammer, ejector and extractor springs. It is amazing how changing out those springs makes almost any carbine run 100%. You should have a bolt assembly/dis-assembly tool to change the extractor and ejector springs, but they are not very much. And it is always a good tool to have.

Quote by M14sRock View Post
    Great looking IBM, Joe. Glad you are having so much fun with it.

It is cycles that wear out magazine springs, not leaving them loaded/compressed, so load them up.

Also, Wolff makes an M1 Carbine spring kit that includes the hammer, ejector and extractor springs. It is amazing how changing out those springs makes almost any carbine run 100%. You should have a bolt assembly/dis-assembly tool to change the extractor and ejector springs, but they are not very much. And it is always a good tool to have.
    Thanks for the advice, M14 (I bet you'd love my buddy's M14...)!

I do have a bolt tool, but I can't find directions for it!

Here is an updated on the issue I had with my gas piston nut backing out:

Last time I cleaned my carbine, I decided to tighten down the gas piston nut using the USGI wrench that I have and considerable force (prior to that, I only hand tightened it). I shot about 50rnds through my carbine this weekend, and while doing a normal field stripping and cleaning, I noticed that the gas piston nut DID NOT back out at all... It looks like all I needed to do was get over my fear of breaking my rifle and actually use the USGI wrench with some elbow grease.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Thanks for the advice, M14 (I bet you'd love my buddy's M14...)!

I do have a bolt tool, but I can't find directions for it!

Here is an updated on the issue I had with my gas piston nut backing out:

Last time I cleaned my carbine, I decided to tighten down the gas piston nut using the USGI wrench that I have and considerable force (prior to that, I only hand tightened it). I shot about 50rnds through my carbine this weekend, and while doing a normal field stripping and cleaning, I noticed that the gas piston nut DID NOT back out at all... It looks like all I needed to do was get over my fear of breaking my rifle and actually use the USGI wrench with some elbow grease.

Glad to hear your nut issue is worked out. The bolt tool is fairly self explanatory. I think if you gave it a try you would be fine. Just make sure you don't "launch" the springs and detents when you remove the extractor and ejector. Disassembling while everything is inside a large plastic "Zip Lock" bag will keep you from losing any.

And, YES, I would love your buddy's M14. I love ALL M14s.

Here are mine.

I could have sworn I had a picture of his 14 somewhere...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast