Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Garand

Article about: Hello All, I have the opportunity to buy this M1 Garand. Now, I don't know anything about Garands and I would like to know your opinion about it. What do you think about this piece and how w

Default M1 Garand

Hello All,

I have the opportunity to buy this M1 Garand. Now, I don't know anything about Garands and I would like to know your opinion about it.
    What do you think about this piece and how would you value it. It's deactivated and situated in Europe.
    I know the pictures aren't the best but these are the only ones I have.

M1 Garand

M1 Garand

M1 Garand

M1 Garand

M1 Garand

M1 Garand

M1 Garand

M1 Garand

M1 Garand

M1 Garand

USRifleCAL30M1.com This site has a lot of information.

Pretty sure it has had a post-war rebuild from the
    numbered stock. Like most WWII items these
    days, prices are getting higher. 20 years ago
    you could buy a shooter here for $199.

Seen some rough M1's like this one lately for
    around $1000, and 'minty' refurbs for
    $2000 (CDN). Personally, I wouldn't
    pay that much.

The one above has a later trigger guard, is in
    'reasonably good' condition and has what
    looks like repro leather.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Looks to be an earlier receiver with a WW 2 dated barrel < not uncommon As for what a deactivated weapon is valued at I have no clue. The rear sight knob appears to be incorrect and the sling is a modern repro Here in AZ USA a functioning mixmaster in that condition would bring around 1000.00 US

nice piece ...

what is the story behind it and what has been done to it .. ??

I would work low ( bring cash ) and work from there IMO

Thank you for your answers.

@Walkwolf: What do you mean with a later trigger guard? Do you mean it is a post war part?

Do you guys think there are other things wrong with it?
    The sling is indeed repro. The seller told me that.

The seller asks €700 for it. I'm really doubting. It's hard to find a Garand here but I'd like to get one with all original WW2 parts.

I own 2 m1's one is an correct 1943 1.4, and the other is a collectors grade 5.4 and I know I live in the U.S.A both of mine would be in the 1.2-2,000usd range. I do not claim to know price or availability on your side of the pond but I would really try to get that price down. Good luck.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Pretty sure it has had a post-war rebuild from the
    numbered stock. Like most WWII items these
    days, prices are getting higher. 20 years ago
    you could buy a shooter here for $199.

Seen some rough M1's like this one lately for
    around $1000, and 'minty' refurbs for
    $2000 (CDN). Personally, I wouldn't
    pay that much.

The one above has a later trigger guard, is in
    'reasonably good' condition and has what
    looks like repro leather.........
    I do not agree with the trigger guard being the later trigger guard. Only the milled trigger guard has the loop in the back to aid in take down the trigger assembly. The later stamped trigger guard did not have this feature. Here's a link showing and explaining the difference.

Trigger Guard Differences - CMP Forums

The only late feature I see is the rear sight. An early M1 rear sight would have a locking bar iirc on the slide of the windage adjustment that locks it in place. The one on the OP's I believe is a post war replacement. The early rear sight can still be found on several sights here in the US.

The serial number would put it about sept of 1940 manufacture, so a 1942 dated barrel wouldn't be a bad thing, the milled trigger guard is early in the war, they switched to stamped trigger guards in 1944. The picture of the rear sight isn't the best, but if it's a flush nut, then it would be correct, they switched to the type 1 lock bar in 1942. The numbers on the stock, the 4186 is more than likely a rack number. The P in a circle is a proof mark. If the stock is still original, it would have a cartouche next to the flaming bomb ordnance stamp. This cartouche would have the arsenal SA over the initials S P G inside a square, and it wold be approx. 3/4 of an inch. SPG are the initials of the inspector Stanley P. Gibbs at Springfield Armory at that time

Something like this, but where the G H S is, it would be S P G, I couldn't find any pictures of that particular cartouche.

M1 Garand

and I know here in the states, if that was a functional M1, 700 euros, I'd be pushing people down to get to it first. I know the Civilian Marksmanship Program is selling Deactivated drill rifles for 500 dollars right now.

[QUOTE=samnev;1411851] I do not agree with the
    trigger guard being the later trigger guard.....

Oops - got the two mixed up.........!
    Regards,

Steve.