Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Garand Help with Gas Cylinder

Article about: Hi guys, As many of you know, here in Jersey we are allowed to own semi-autos, so I have gone and got myself a NM M1 Garand. Its not in the condition I would ideally like, but they rarely co

Default M1 Garand Help with Gas Cylinder

Hi guys,

As many of you know, here in Jersey we are allowed to own semi-autos, so I have gone and got myself a NM M1 Garand. Its not in the condition I would ideally like, but they rarely come up.

Basically, as you can see, the gas cylinder has been sporterised and I would like to return it to a more original configuration.

Does anyone know whether these can be ordered from the U.S legally, or whether they are possible to find in the UK/Europe? Do you think it would be worth spending the money on?

Cheers,

Ollie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Garand Help with Gas Cylinder   M1 Garand Help with Gas Cylinder  

M1 Garand Help with Gas Cylinder  

It appears to have been tapped into the reciever. Short of replacing the reciever I am not sure. This could get costly. I need light, close up pictures of the reciever area that has the mount to make a clear assessment of your question.
    Thanks,
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Thanks for the reply, but that is not what I am asking.
    The scope rail that has been attached to the receiver is correct. What I am asking is whether I should bother replacing the gas cylinder that has had the bayonet lug and swivel mount ground off for an apparently 'cleaner' look.
    Thanks,
    Ollie.

?

It looks like a parts gun (put together). Gas cylinders are inexpensive and easy to find. I would go through completely and make note of what is what. A restore may be more hassle than its worth as relatively correct and complete examples are still fairly abundant.

If it is just a shooter, then do whatever you feel is necessary.
    Regards,
    John

It looks to me like it is or was a M1C or M1D sniper rifle - or perhaps
    someone was trying to fashion one out of it - and yes, I would
    replace the part. If it is a true sniper type, you will need the
    complete cylinder with bayonet bracket to mount a flash
    hider if you wish to return it to it's former glory,
    or just make it correct.

M1 Sniper rifles go for 2-3 times as much $$$ as regular Garands.
    Shouldn't be too hard to find a gas cylinder. 'Numrich Arms' in
    the US would be a good place to start, however you may
    find it a bit of a hassle to get parts shipped without
    going through a licenced firearms dealer.........
    Regards,

Steve.

thanks for the advice guys!

As I said, I am more of a shooter than a serious collector and M1's hardly ever come in to the island. This particular example happened to be a National Match, so i think it a well put together rifle, however, in the 60's/70's I believe match shooters went through a phase of trying to clean up their rifles and make them look more 'sporty'. This rifle, I do not believe, has been altered all that much, but my aim is too get it looking slightly more ww2 purely for aesthetics.
    Cheers,
    Ollie

Hi guys, some updated photos! can anyone tell me why there is no manufactures mark on my receiver!?

The barrel reads: Geneseo. Il.

Ollie

M1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas CylinderM1 Garand Help with Gas Cylinder

Its a commercial barrel by Springfield Inc, gas cylinders are easily found. I am wondering about the receiver, if it is a USGI reciver, it appears the heel was scrubbed and a new serial stamped. This would concern me.
    Pull the action from the stock, is anything stamped on the right hand side?

They have made commercial M1 receivers that were blank. Yours has copied a Springfield serial number from somewhere between jan '52-aug '52. Pull the receiver assembly from the stock and look for a drawing number on the right side. It has the ww 2 lock bar rear sight and a Winchester bolt.

Here's a site for more info if you get curious USRifleCAL30M1.com

CAI made receivers with nothing on the heel but were marked on the side above the woodline
    I still say its a USGI receiver thats been scrubbed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast