Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

M18A1 57mm recoilless rifle

Article about: Converted to 50 BMG. I have not finished the restoration but just need the inner cable. My Dad was in one of the first airborne units issued RRs in 1944. They were not used very much for ant

?

Default M18A1 57mm recoilless rifle

Converted to 50 BMG. I have not finished the restoration but just need the inner cable.

My Dad was in one of the first airborne units issued RRs in 1944. They were not used very much for anti tank use, according to him, because of Patton and the German's lack of gasoline. They replaced the 37mm AT gun and British made ammo. (20mm projectile and a sabot)

M18A1 made from M18

Here is an old advertisement for them.

Johnnie
    ?

Default Re: M18A1 57mm recoilless rifle

I remember reading that some of these were issued to Cuban exiles during the Bay of Pigs invasion. They were shocked to find out they were totally useless against Russian JSIII tanks. These are neat weapons and should be fun to shoot when you are finished with your conversion.
    Post some range pics!

Johnnie

speiss 2002
    ?

How are you going to take it to the range? In a bus? Seriiously that is a great toy!Much love.

?

Dad said the 57mm was great for buildings but not too effective on German tanks. Still better than the 37mm AT gun. He said the 75mm was a real anti-tank artillery piece and still light enough for glider use it was just not man portable. They used them very little because of getting them so late but one 75mm was used at least once and he got to examine the tank. It was impressive for such a light gun. It was a "secret weapon" so they were not supposed to talk about it at the time.

They were shocked to find out they were totally useless against Russian JSIII tanks
    I heard the same thing about The Bay of Pigs. I have pics from the bay of Pigs museum if you are intersted.

I have EDMed ports on the back of the barrel so it should be recoilless in 50 BMG. I wll lose a bit of velocity but the others who did not do this have shot them from M1917 trpods used sand bags, and still had them tip over from recoil. I'll get some pic when we shoot it but I still have to make an inner cable since I can not find one. Mine was restored and was very rough when it was given to me.

How are you going to take it to the range? In a bus?
    Well before I was banned form the range I took it on this. Somewhere there is a pic of a French motor bike with one mounted on it.

Johnnie
    ?

Would love to see your Bay of Pigs museum pics. Always wanted to go there.

Johnnie

?

I'll get the Bay of pigs pics up. It is a museum that few might know about.

Here is the Chinese version of the 57mm recoillless rifle from the SEAL museum. There seems to be a lot of interest in anti-tank guns. It is almost an exact copy but some of the aluminum parts on the US version were done in brass.