Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1910 Maxim Arrives

Article about: Took delivery of this one today. Forgot to install the shield spring and pin before taking the photos. It is a side plate gun with the majority of the original serial numbers matching the 19

Thanks for the info on the side plate. I used to love taking these Maxim (and Vickers) guns apart! The very last gun I restored of this type was an Mg08/15. Happy days!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Thanks for the info on the side plate. I used to love taking these Maxim (and Vickers) guns apart! The very last gun I restored of this type was an Mg08/15. Happy days!
    They are fun.

?

Very nice 1910. I also have a 1910 but a Snow Cap. The only time it stops running is when the belt is empty. Many thousands of rounds thru it and have never have a parts failure. They are truly built like a tank. The only thing bad about it is everyone wants to shoot it when I take it out. Then they would always shoot looong bursts until I stopped them. So I made up 30 round belts with 1 missing every 5 shots, problem solved.

Beautiful transferable 1910! I want one in a bad way, but am holding out for a C&R. It's gonna be a long wait lol. Enjoy the gun, and keep on buying that cheap Russian surplus ammo while it's still coming into America!

Quote by HSMaxim View Post
    Thanks, I had a choice of this one or a later one with the snow cap. I prefer the looks of the earlier type without the snow cap.

Side plate - The gun could only be imported as a parts set, the removal of the left side plate for a Maxim being required for importation. Once in the country it could be reassembled again as a fully automatic firearm with a registered reproduction side plate. Only a very tiny number of M1910s outside of museums in the US that are full auto have both original side plates.
    Sounds like you got this gun from Mr Naess?

Quote by michaelkih View Post
    Sounds like you got this gun from Mr Naess?
    Nope, while Bob is a friend of mine this gun was obtained from one of the fellows I setup with at Knob Creek. He brought two to the last shoot and I traded with him for it.

Beautiful transferable 1910! I want one in a bad way, but am holding out for a C&R. It's gonna be a long wait lol. Enjoy the gun, and keep on buying that cheap Russian surplus ammo while it's still coming into America!
    The vast majority of the M1910 C&Rs are no better than a sideplate gun, the C&R side plate most likely was removed from a German MG08. MG08 will still be listed as the type machine gun in block 4d on the F3 or F4. In my book that is not really a true C&R which should be all original but some people like fooling themselves.

Quote by HSMaxim View Post
    The vast majority of the M1910 C&Rs are no better than a sideplate gun, the C&R side plate most likely was removed from a German MG08. MG08 will still be listed as the type machine gun in block 4d on the F3 or F4. In my book that is not really a true C&R which should be all original but some people like fooling themselves.
    Interesting. If the right side plate gun comes up at the right price I may have to consider it then. Thanks, and enjoy!

Interesting. If the right side plate gun comes up at the right price I may have to consider it then. Thanks, and enjoy!
    Check the paper work for the type machine gun shown or if you are viewing the gun in person look for German proofs on the side plate. Usually easy to tell.

Side plate guns will usually also show MG08 in the type block.

When you are seriously interested in locating one either contact Bob or myself, I am sure between the two of us we can put you in contact with a seller. The tractor cap gun I did not buy I believe is still available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2