Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1911

Article about: The grip safety is definately a replacement, it's the long 1911A1 style so it's from 1924 at the earliest. The narrow hammer was introduced in WW2, though by then the guns were parked. Might

?

Default Re: M1911

The grip safety is definately a replacement, it's the long 1911A1 style so it's from 1924 at the earliest. The narrow hammer was introduced in WW2, though by then the guns were parked. Might be from a post-war commercial gun, I'm not sure. The grip panels are definately not original, the double-diamond grips were used on all pre-1924 production.

Here's a picture of my 1919-made 1911, it's a commercial British contract rather than a US-issue gun, but the configuration would be the same. You can see the shorter grip safety tang and you should be able to make out the wide hammer spur. I have a 1943 Colt with the same hammer, but my '45 Remington-Rand has the narrow one.

?

Default Re: M1911

Nice sidearm!

I knew the grips weren't original 1918 production. I plan on hunting down a pair of original diamond grips to replace the ones I have.

You definitely boosted my confidence as I thought the slide may be a replacement based on other information I obtained. If I am looking at just a few parts as being replacements, this is fine with me. Over time I can purchase parts to restore it to it's original 1918 configuration.

I have a local gun shop that specializes in military firearms. I haven't been there in a while and will probably take it to them to get their opinion. Occasionally they carry original parts as well.

Thanks again for all of your input!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2