Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1916 Berthier Carbine

Article about: Hello Friends It has, as usual been too long since I had time to post, but I came across this last week in a local auction, now carbines are not usualy my cup of tea, but Im airing to collec

Default Re: M1916 Berthier Carbine

Hello-as requested my Berthier M16 carbine-no cleaning rod as these were removed in the large scale post WW1 rebuilding programme done by the French-other side of the receiver is marked 'MAC 32'-unusually it has the 3 round Mannlicher type mag of the earlier M1892.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1916 Berthier Carbine   M1916 Berthier Carbine  

M1916 Berthier Carbine  

A very nice rifle indeed . The wood looks especially good. Found the sights on these rifles to be far better than the German 98k. Easy to see and line up, even at a fast glance. The trigger is also quite fine for a military rifle. Though the straight shape seems strange at first, the release is quite good (no creep & a crisp break). An overall short and very handy carbine.

Reg
    ?

Hi Lithgow

Thank you for the pictures, it looks a lovely example with cleaner lines without that extra 2 round mag adaption. I wonder why my example (also non cleaning rod) does not have M16 engraved onto it? parts job maybe at the refurb? Would be nice to put a few rounds through one but Ill have to just take your word for its handling Paddywonka

Reg

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Hello-I think they are quite elegant little weapons that served long and hard all around the world-I have a Model 16 Berthier carbine but it doesn't have the 5 round extended mag-is yours rendered inoperable and do you have the long knife bayo for it?
    Are you sure you have an M1916 if you have a 3 round clip?, From reasearch i did into this weapon, all Mannlicher Berthiers post 1915 had a 5 round Enbloc clip, I own a Mannlicher Berthier M1892, which is identical, except for the clip size, mine has 3 rounds. it kicks like a mule when i fire it, but very accurate :-D

Heres my M1892, the previous model before the M1916, and it still fires!!!, if you want to know where i got it, look in the forum under "Attic and Barn finds" under the name "A rare find" all of it is original, even the brass tipped cleaning rod.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1916 Berthier Carbine  
    Attached Images Attached Images M1916 Berthier Carbine  M1916 Berthier Carbine  M1916 Berthier Carbine  M1916 Berthier Carbine 

Hello-if you look at the posted pictures above you will see my carbine's receiver is marked Model 1916-made by the private manufacturer Continsoura-the rest of the carbine was assembled by Chateaurelleaut-the weapon has some of the post war modifications including the removal of the cleaning rod and modification to the higher powered N round-the French had somewhat chaotic production and alteration programmes-most statements on them are generalisations with plenty of 'exceptions to the rule' occurring.

Reg
    ?

Thanks for the pics Berthier, nice original example! From the bit of surfing I did on these I think Lithgow is right by saying the refurbs to M1916 were a bit chaotic and haphazzard....who can blame them lol. Does anyone have a decent pic or even own the long infantry version (even though many carbines were issued to infantry)?

Cheers
    Reg

?

is it the same as the TURKISH FORESTRY CARBINE? I have one that holds only 3 rounds. and it is not marked to shoot the bigger diameter heads, odd as the date on it is 1948? you would think by that date it would of had the letter on the receiver so one would not shoot the larger diameter heads in it and create a lot of breach pressure!. any one know why?

Thanks for sharing! I agree that it has aesthetic appeal, but in my opinion it is in an elegant sort of way. The French seem to have a flair for style, even in rifles. They even stamp the reciever in elegant cursive script. I agree with Ade, you don't see many Berthiers here in Florida either, especially carbines.

I have a Berthier rifle, made in 1917, that reference books identify as a Model 1916. However, it is stamped as a Mle 1907 - 15.

Ammo is hard to get. I read that it can be made from .348 Winchester brass. I tried that, and found that it might work in a rifle with a chamber cut to near maximum dimensions, but it would not chamber in my rifle. I found some WWI French brass at a gun show and tried reloading them. They fit the chamber perfectly, but the brass was ruined by mercuric primers and was too brittle to use. I finally found a few rounds of commercial 8mm Lebel that worked fine, but it is expensive and hard to find.

toot-the Forestry Carbine is a conversion of the long infantry rifle Berthier done by the Turks in the 1940s. The rifles were considered to have no real military value by the Turks as they were non standard and used the 8 mm Lebel round but could be used for Forestry guards stopping timber theft. The barrel was sawn off at the barrel band and a new nosecap fitted-no need to mount a bayonet! The weapon was much shorter and handier but still longer than the actual M1892/16 type carbine. Where the rifles actually came from is disputed-captured during WW1, supplied by the French post war or taken from interned Vichy French troops at the end of the Syrian campaign in 1941.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2