MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M1917 American Enfield

Article about: Interesting twist... A local gun shop near me has two for sale... a Winchester and a Remington... both mint. HOWEVER, they came out of a VFW and the stocks are painted white. I really have n

Default Re: M1917 American Enfield

I have a nice 1917 Eddystone. It was made in 1917 (marked on barrel just below front sight). It's in great shape. I got it on Gunbrokers.com. Took a very long time to get one made in 1917- 1918.There are tons of them from the 40's. I haven't fired it and have no intenion of doing so, not that I don't trust it, just that the rifle (like the war) fell silent long ago, and I think it should stay that way...just me. I have an FFL-03, so I was able to have it shipped right to my house.
    It's funny. The Springfield is by far the most famous Yankee rifle used in the Great war but, three quarters of American Soldiers and Marines carried an M1917.

Joe:
    If the medal parts are in good shape. I would look around for some wood. If you don't want the task of stripping the wood that is on it. Northridge supply makes the orginal stain for these old rifles. PLEASE DO NOT SAND THE WOOD. I have a guy here in Iowa that has all of the old world ways of bringing old WWII wood back to life. He has all the stains and finnishes. He does wood exchanges for collectors. I don't know if he has any wood for these rifles or not. Most of the collectors in Iowa use him for finding wood. I use to get carbine wood from him. This is drying up fast. His name is Joe Crovonik. He lives 1 1/2 hours from me. He does a lot of gun shows. Just my thoughts.
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Thanks for the reply, guys. I decided to cancel my hold on the white Winchester. I've been finding tons of them online for half what the white one was going for...

I'll pick up an un-messed-with M1917 elsewhere... Probably an Eddystone for a fraction of the price.

?

I have one of each manufacturer, believe me when I say, they are out there. Patience is a virtue Joe.

Sounds like that one was pricey.
    Regards,
    John

Yeah, John... Definitely pricey. If the wood matched the condition of the metal, I'd definitely be more willing to pay the asking price... But gosh... :/ I'm glad I came to my senses.

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Yeah, John... Definitely pricey. If the wood matched the condition of the metal, I'd definitely be more willing to pay the asking price... But gosh... :/ I'm glad I came to my senses.
    Great decision Joe! I am sure if you are patient you will find one In the shape you desire. By the wat there is nothing wrong with any of the 3 manufactures. I have all 3 and do not see any difference in the quality and accuracy in any of them. Though original WW I rifles that were not rebuilt during WW II are getting harder to find with pristine bores.
    Sam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3