Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1A1 Carbine Opinions Please

Article about: This is a 2nd production gun by Inland. I was able to get this out of a old collection, does not mean very much, but I believe to be original and correct. I am happy with it thus far. The lo

Default M1A1 Carbine Opinions Please

This is a 2nd production gun by Inland. I was able to get this out of a old collection, does not mean very much, but I believe to be original and correct. I am happy with it thus far.
    The low wood stock is correct for 2nd production, high wood for all 1st production. It appears the cheek pad has been replaced as wartime repair or post war. The 7/4 marked rivets are replacements in either case, bummer. All the other parts are correct for the 2nd run production. I did not take apart the bolt to look at ejector or firing pin. Pain to put back together. All thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated.
    John

M1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions PleaseM1A1 Carbine Opinions Please

John,
    Very,very nice. The one Carbine that everyone dreams of have in their collection. I would take it off your hands in a heartbeat LOL. Have you shot it?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Very nice!

MAP
    ?

Very very nice John.

While I have a very early one, I'm not well versed in the nuances. Never taken it apart.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

That looks SWEEEET! I bet it smell even better!
    I love the smell of wood and steel!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Very Nice Carbine.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Thank you for the comments. It is my first one and I just acquired it a couple of days ago so I have not had a chance to shoot it. The guy has another one, 1st production highwood stock that is very nice. I Just cannot afford to have two. I can forward info by PM if interested.
    John

Looks in very nice condition. It reminded me of a photo I saw some years ago of a bunch of these being handed out to Montagnard irregular troops in Vietnam in 1964.

M1A1 Carbine Opinions Please

MP40's as well.

Great Photo Anderson! I guess the M1A1 also deserves a long service award.
    John

Really interesting Carbine... Having a mix of early, mid and later parts.
    Which can be expected in the 5,0 mil serial number block of Inlands. This was a Transitional period where these types of parts can be expected to be found.
    Early: being the UI marked Type IA Barrel Band, Flip Leaf Sight, Blued Flat Bolt and Type IIA Magcatch.
    Mid/Later: The Type V (I Believe) Op slide with the Bolts cam area being angled forward (to improve ejection angle and increase Dwell time) came in to use shortly before this Carbine was made.
    Note: there were 2 styles of the Type V Op slide, the later having the part number placed on the bottom... 7160091.
    Both of the Inland Type V Op Slides were made by Packard and marked PI inside the Slide. One had no part number, the later did.

I'd look closely on the top right rail of the stock to see if there is any sign of it having been a Hi-Wood that has been cut down to a Low-Wood stock. Both were found in this serial number range. These types of 'Mods' were often done in the field.
    If I could add... Who ever replaced the leather did a great job!

Without owning a Bolt tool, I wouldn't take the bolt apart.

Would be nice to see the barreled receiver out of the wood to ID the Internals.. IE: Trigger Housing, Trigger, Hammer, Sear, Bolt markings, Gas Cylinder markings, along with the barrel makers markings on the underside barrel flat. In this Serial range Both Inland and Brown-Lipe-Chapin supplied barrels.

Congrats on your find and appreciate you sharing it.

BTW: Have you considered filling out a Carbine Data sheet on it?
    If interested you can download a sheet/form from here:

Carbine Club Data Sheets - The Carbine Collector's Club

VR
    Charlie-Painter777