Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptor

Article about: Hello All, I have this old .30 Browning Mk2 tripod with the elevating and traversing gear and a peculiar adaptor. There is a tiny clue of a ripped stores label indicating that it was some so

Default M2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptor

Hello All,
    I have this old .30 Browning Mk2 tripod with the elevating and traversing gear and a peculiar adaptor.
    There is a tiny clue of a ripped stores label indicating that it was some sort of ‘device',
    Has anybody got any idea what it could be?
    It fits and locks perfectly into the hole on the tripod.
    All the best
    Doug

M2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptorM2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptorM2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptorM2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptorM2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptorM2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptorM2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptorM2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptorM2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptorM2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptor

Default Re: M2 .30 Browning Tripod and a peculiar adaptor

1005-99-961-9277 Description:MOUNTING,TRIPOD,MAC

1005-99-965-3537 bore sighting device.

So its my guess that the little 7.62mm cartridge is a bore sighting lense so that the sights on a GPMG or maybe Bren barrel can be set?

ian
    ?

i think this device is for an L!A! slr to fit on the trypod ,, mabe for targrt indication training ??? it has the slot for the bayonet lug just away from the whole
    mabe to bore sight an slr as has allready been mentioned ,,, mabe to align the SUSAT sight on an SLR ???
    cheers ian

Yes, thats it, I knew I recognised the green part at the back, its the vehicle rifle rack for the L1A1 so its for boresighting the barrel and body of a L1A1 SLR.

Thanks Chris and Ian.
    So there we have it, it is some sort of bore sighting device.
    I will have a look when I get back to see what the little cartridge is.
    All the best
    Doug

Chris...it looks as though it could be an extremely rare and very very valuable device then!
    Everyone would want their SLR to hit what it was pointed at.
    All the best
    Doug

ian
    ?

i do believe that it has to do with SUSAT sights as the SLR would have to be in the brocken position to see down the barrel for bore sighting
    and the SUSAT would be on the top cover still in lign with the barrel
    the rear sight of an SLR is on the lower body part which would be hanging down at the back of this mount
    and all the use i have had with an SLR with iron sights requred to be shot in to me (not bore sighted as this would be imposabel to achieve with iron sights) becouse of the nead to brake the rifle ,,, if you see what i meen
    cheers ian

I don't have the device to hand at the moment but I still don't see how bore sighting an SLR or even just the barrel and body assembly would work though.
    I can't even see how it would fit and lock in to the adaptor.
    All the best
    Doug

ian
    ?

muzzle of the barrel throught the hole ,, bayonet lug in the slot ,and fore grip just before the mag housing into the spring mount
    the bayonet lug would hold the rifle in place
    cheers ian

Yeah, could well be to boresight the barreled action to the SUIT rather than SUSAT, or even the starlight

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast