Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Martini Henry Mk11

Article about: The Martini Henry rifle has been a favourite weapon of mine for many years. I once got the chance to fire one when I was about 12 years old, and after that experience, I always said that I w

Default Martini Henry Mk11

The Martini Henry rifle has been a favourite weapon of mine for many years. I once got the chance to fire one when I was about 12 years old, and after that experience, I always said that I would get myself one. It has taken a long time, but I have finally done it.

Yesterday I took delivery of a Martini Henry Mk11. This particular example only has British WD stamps on it, so I assume it has never seen foreign service. It is an L.S.A & Co crown VR 1888 model, but the barrel is marked B.S.A & Co. I must confess I know little about the manufacturing history of these weapons, so perhaps someone could enlighten me. Is it common to get a BSA barrel on a London Small Arms receiver, or is it just a replacement barrel? All parts are WD stamped though. The bore is nice and sharp, and lock-up is crisp and tight. All in all - a very nice example of its type.
    Martini Henry Mk11Martini Henry Mk11Martini Henry Mk11Martini Henry Mk11Martini Henry Mk11Martini Henry Mk11Martini Henry Mk11

Default Re: Martini Henry Mk11

Very hard to find in decent nick these days-good example you have there-still live I assume with your comments on the rifling?

Very nice Steve, is it in working order as i should imagine the ammo being obsolete for these.

it is indeed still live - section 58 under our laws. For those who do not know, a section 58 weapon is one of obsolete caliber - and as such does not require a licence. You only need a licence if the intention is to actually fire it. Fortunately for me there are no Zulu's in Warrington to the best of my knowledge, so I don't need the ammo!

"At one hundred yards! Volley fire, present! Aim! Fire!"

I shall have to see if I can get any lead tomorrow at Liverpool Arms fair.

don't be too sure about there being no zulus in warrington.Lol

Looks just like the 1879 Mk2 that I had years ago. It kicked liked a sonofabitch and blew out a smoke cloud big enough to use as a battleship's smokescreen. I used to load my own shells for it at a horrendous expensive rate. You first had to get the .577 brass and then size down the necks to the .450, saw the cases, debur them, etc etc...took a whole day to load enough rounds to shoot it a few hours. lol
    One tip I'll give you-unscrew the ram rod and use a brass brush on the threads on the end and then apply abit of grease to them. These things have a habit of rusting up and locking the rod in place permanently if you don't!
    The wood on your piece looks to be in fine shape. Do you have the humungous bayonet for it? When you lock them on the rifle, it increases the weight to well over 10 pounds(which is actually a Good thing, when it comes to absorbing the recoil a wee bit!). A very historic and iconic rifle, for sure. It makes your mind spin imagining where all it might have been and done! Nice pick up!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Drawn or Wrapped brass (rh)? My favourite MH film: 'The Man Who Would Be King'-Michael Caine and Sean Connery.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Martini Henry Mk11  

I don't think I wil be firing this one. I may try and get the bayonet for it though. I lost my interest in shooting a long long time ago. These days I just like the historical aspect of the hobby.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast