Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Matching serial numbers on deactivated guns

Article about: I do have an interesting MP-40 kit with a saw cut receiver, its all matching except for the bolt, the number on the bolt is one number before it. I've always wondered if it was a factory mis

Default Matching serial numbers on deactivated guns

Hi, it's been a while since I posted in this section, I'll have to put photos of my collection up sometime. I've noticed that weapons with full matching numbers on parts are more valuable and sought-after by collectors, but were parts numbers frequently mismatched as a result of period replacement or manufacture? I ask because I hope soon to buy a Walther P-38, and the closest to affordable I can find are all with multiple serial numbers each. I suppose I just want to buy something that's 'as it was', not something a collector has put together... that's if I can afford one at all! The cheapest I've found is £460, and that will take some saving up.

Mat

Default Re: Matching serial numbers on deactivated guns

Hi Mat, there are several points to consider here.

First off, if the gun in question is German, I would always always pay the extra for a correctly matched number gun.

Many items on the market today are from former Soviet Army stocks. These will be ex Russian capture (if German) and arsenal rebuilt or just arsenal re-built if ex Soviet weapons. Keeping numbers matching was of no interest to the Soviets. All they wanted was a good servicable arm at the end of the rebuilding/reconditioning programme. So, some guns might be matching or almost matching or a complete miss-mash with "Matching " numbers added with new die stampted numbers or added via an electro pencil engraving tool. Known as a "Forced match" in collectors terminology.

A gun with totally miss matched numbers could just be cobbled together by a dealer last week.

Save your cash and buy an example which is all matching with original German serial numbers. But this might well have come from ex Soviet stocks. Matching number guns are rare in the UK. Try and find an untouched K98 here, very very hard to do. Our lads did not bring them home like US servicemen could. WW2 German weapons were recycled in post war service by many armies all around the world. The most common component to get replaced was the bolt in many cases.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the help Ade- I think I'll follow your advice and wait for the opportunity to get one with matching numbers. I wouldn't mind if it was a Soviet captured piece, as long as the parts match, as I think that's just part of the history.
    Right now, I have 6 Soviet weapons, I'd have bought German guns by now also were it not for their significantly higher prices. I think I started collecting these just in time though, as the prices of the deacs I have already seem to have risen over the period of about 3 years. As for acquiring a German gun, I'll probably have to wait until I have a better-paying job!

Mat

I have another question, which I may as well post here:

Can anyone please post photos or tell how to identify Russian capture markings of P38 pistols? I'm looking to buy one, and I believe non-captured pieces usually cost more. I presume this is because they were repaired or altered in some way? Otherwise, it just seems to me to be an interesting addition to a weapon's story. It would be interesting to know if many of these weapons were captured on an individual basis (from combatants...etc) or from unissued supplies in overrun areas.

Mat

Hi Mat, there are no specific marks that I know of.

The most significant thing is they will be re-blued. Numbers will usually match if not needing repairs and not be a forced match like we are used to seeing on K98's.

The supply came from both sources.

I have one, 1943 production, all matching as seen here.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Matching serial numbers on deactivated guns   Matching serial numbers on deactivated guns  

Matching serial numbers on deactivated guns  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

If possible too...always hunt for one with a matching numbered Magazine as well. Well worth looking for. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely decided on a full-matching numbered example, it's just about finding an affordable one now!

And nice pistol Ade!

Mat

?

I also have a question too ask regarding this subject , where parts not replaced during the war if they got damaged thus making mis matched numbers ?

Toxicgas i would like too see your collection ! I think it's a great idear too start a thred!

Kind regards
    Alex

Quote by banksy View Post
    I also have a question too ask regarding this subject , where parts not replaced during the war if they got damaged thus making mis matched numbers ?

Toxicgas i would like too see your collection ! I think it's a great idear too start a thred!

Kind regards
    Alex
    Hi Alex, parts will have been replaced during the war if damaged, so there are period mismatched weapons. However, I believe the majority will be post-war reconstructed, hence my reluctance to purchase anything other than a fully-matched pistol.

I will indeed post photos of my collection soon! It's nothing compared to so many on here, but I'm pleased with it so far!

Mat

I just made an enquiry to a dealer about if a P38 they had came with a matching magazine, as the piece was described as 'all matching', but they told me that P38s don't have numbered magazines, and that this is a 'Luger feature'... surely that's incorrect?

Mat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast