Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Maxim 1910 Should I or shouldnt I?

Article about: Hi Reg, Be warned! When assembled, this item takes up a fair ammount of room - and it feels as though it weighs a bloody ton! When I used to have the use of the spare bedroom I had an Mg08,

Reg
    ?

Default Maxim 1910 Should I or shouldnt I?

Hi Gents

A few months ago I was lucky enough to buy a maxim PM1910, ive wanted one for years and finally had the funds to get one! Dated 1945 and with 50 de-act rounds.

The thing is that the Sokolov mount came very nicely boxed in a useful crate, with shield beneth, and a great bit of paper with cyrilic writing on and the date 1978 (when is was presumably refurbed and crated up) to remove the mount would mean damaging the crate somewhat, but should I assemble it and have a play, or would its value be deminished if the box has been tampered with, its held in place by some chunky nailed in wooden blocks.....

What do other forum members think?

THanks and best wishes

Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Maxim 1910 Should I or shouldnt I?   Maxim 1910 Should I or shouldnt I?  

Default Re: Maxim 1910 Should I or shouldnt I?

Hi Reg, I am always very conservative when it comes to not messing around with militaria in it's original state, but in this case value would not be diminished. Most of these crates have been turned into firewood. Few collectors actually care. Enjoy your Maxim and put it together.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Reg,

Lovely looking piece my friend! On the subject of the case, look at it carefully to see the minimal amount of timber that has to be removed and then go at it with a pry bar, NOT a claw hammer (GENTLY DOES IT!!). With a little patience and luck you hopefully won't split anything. Remove the rest of the frame/ armour and then straighten out the nails if necessary with a hammer and knock it back together again. It shouldn't be too difficult, i've used this method hundreds of times at work, so we can re-use the crates. Good luck mate!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Nice MG!!!!!!! Didnt realize before how similar the receiver is to the 50. Cal. Lee

Quote by Reg View Post
    Hi Gents

A few months ago I was lucky enough to buy a maxim PM1910, ive wanted one for years and finally had the funds to get one! Dated 1945 and with 50 de-act rounds.

The thing is that the Sokolov mount came very nicely boxed in a useful crate, with shield beneth, and a great bit of paper with cyrilic writing on and the date 1978 (when is was presumably refurbed and crated up) to remove the mount would mean damaging the crate somewhat, but should I assemble it and have a play, or would its value be deminished if the box has been tampered with, its held in place by some chunky nailed in wooden blocks.....

What do other forum members think?

THanks and best wishes

Reg
    I agree with the others on this and just remove it nice and carefully take your time and enjoy looking at the complete assembly! Thats a very nice gun! Regards, Tim.

Reg
    ?

Thank you all for the enthusiasm and advice! Ill post a picture of the beast once assembled, although it might not be anytime soon! Anyone know of any cloth ammo belts for sale in the UK and what sort of price by the way?

Cheers
    Reg

Hi Reg, cloth ammo belts are rare here. Very seldom seen.

Someone did show some on the forum from the Ukraine I believe which he was willing to part with.

Cheers, Ade.

after reading this message, I went to ebay, and when i saw the screen, a buy now, $200 russian maxin belt wasd the first thing I saw.

WW 2 Russian "Maxim" MG canvas ammo belt, MINT!

US $200.00
    Jun-16-10 06:22:59 PDT

See other items in this category:

Field Gear

If this was something I wanted, and saw this when I shifted the screen, I would say it is an ordained by God purchase!
    Jagdhorn

The box too, will be a nice display piece with the gun when you get it set up....
    Which, by the way looks GORGEOUS........................ !

Please post a photo(s) when it is assembled !
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Reg, I am always very conservative when it comes to not messing around with militaria in it's original state, but in this case value would not be diminished. Most of these crates have been turned into firewood. Few collectors actually care. Enjoy your Maxim and put it together.

Cheers, Ade.
    Reg, as Ade has put it above, and I say....get the bugger built up !.....they really do look good, very MG08 !

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast