Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mg 08/15

Article about: Does anyone have an exploded view of the lock for the MG 08/15? Also how to dismantle it and reassemble it, please?? I have an example in relic contition, but most parts move etc, and would

Default Mg 08/15

Does anyone have an exploded view of the lock for the MG 08/15? Also how to dismantle it and reassemble it, please??

I have an example in relic contition, but most parts move etc, and would like to be able to get into the lock to remove dried dirt etc.

Many thanks,

Grant

Default Re: Mg 08/15

Hi Grant, it might be worth you buying a reprint but translated manual here:

German Manuals in English

In fact, the guy who does these, John Baum, has recently joined the forum. I have yet to do business with him, but he comes recommended by a good friend of mine who is also a forum member.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

Thanks for the link, I had a look and they are a fantastic reference source if you had the whole MG 08/15, but even so I'm unsure if any will show the same lock and the technique of disassembly etc?

I hope someone might just own one and can perhaps take a photo or something?

Cheers,

Grant

Thought I would take a photo of mine so that if anyone can help, they will be able to see if my lock is the same as all the other MG08/15 locks. Mine has had the connecting link taken off already, but I have it.

Cheers,

Grant
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mg 08/15   Mg 08/15  

Mg 08/15  

JBaum
    ?

The MG 08 and MG 08/15 locks are virtually identical.

Disassembly of the lock is indeed shown in the MG 08/15 manual, but with one in that condition, I think I would not disassemble it. The firing pin spring will likely come out in pieces, and re-assembly may be an impossible task.

If you're intent on disassembly, I'd recommend a week or two soaking in diesel fuel to help loosen the rusted parts. It will penetrate better than oil.