Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

MG-42 Butt Stock ?

Article about: Totenhead, That buttstock, looks a lot better with the black paint removed, and is in very good condition. I have a couple of Yugo buttstocks on Mg42s, one I have replaced for a WW2 German b

Default Re: MG-42 Butt Stock ?

Totenhead, That buttstock, looks a lot better with the black paint removed, and is in very good condition. I have a couple of Yugo buttstocks on Mg42s, one I have replaced for a WW2 German buttstock, the other is still waiting to be reunited with a German one! I am waffling, my point is neither are as in as good condition as yours, one of them looks more like a stump!
    lebus12, That's no M53 is it? Looks like a Mg42 to me, and the buttstock looks WW2 with that metal band on, AA sight bracket, AA finger sight, waffenmeister added sling loop, and a converted bipod. The only parts I can see that come from a M53 are the pistol grips (the grooves on a Mg42 pistol grip go right to the edge M53 ones don't) as others have already asked, I too would also like to see some more pictures of this M53/Mg42?
    Jonathan.

Quote by pitfighter View Post
    Are you going to put stain and treatment on your stock?

Mine was also a Yugo stock, that I stripped to resemble WW2 type - along with replacing certain other exterior components.

The smith that does my work is pretty well versed, an avid reenactor, I am not, I make films and read books, lol - he told me they would have originally been issued with unfinished wood stocks, and to leave mine, let oil, grease and dirt rub into it and it will start to look original. Mine is out a lot - the MG42 works more than my other WW2 movie rentals combined, lol.
    But, I do think it looks too light in color, and new looking.

I haven't researched this - does it sound kosher? When I reviewed my books, I could not find reference to wood stock finish as issued in the 1940's.

Cheers,

Pit.
    Hi Pit

I am not sure really, was thinking about a stain but not sure, maybe just boil up some linseed and try that ? I know its not an MG-42 and never will be, but its a shame to have a lovely wood butt and leave it covered in crap black paint.

I was thinking something like this .......

Quote by severin View Post
    Totenhead, That buttstock, looks a lot better with the black paint removed, and is in very good condition. I have a couple of Yugo buttstocks on Mg42s, one I have replaced for a WW2 German buttstock, the other is still waiting to be reunited with a German one! I am waffling, my point is neither are as in as good condition as yours, one of them looks more like a stump!
    lebus12, That's no M53 is it? Looks like a Mg42 to me, and the buttstock looks WW2 with that metal band on, AA sight bracket, AA finger sight, waffenmeister added sling loop, and a converted bipod. The only parts I can see that come from a M53 are the pistol grips (the grooves on a Mg42 pistol grip go right to the edge M53 ones don't) as others have already asked, I too would also like to see some more pictures of this M53/Mg42?
    Jonathan.
    Thanks Jonathan, the whole MG-53 is a nice one, nice patina and bluing to it, maybe an early one, some look brand new ! I should have taken a photo of the butt before I stripped it, only took an hour or so, not that interesting I know, will try and finish it off this weekend

Hello Totenhead, I have tried natural and boiled linseed oil on stocks, and the only difference I can spot is that the natural takes forever to dry. One thing I found that worked well was too use a sewing needle to go round the wire wraps to remove the last of the black paint, and an old, soft tooth-brush to clean the wooden grooves at the back of the buttstock, Although yours looks fine. I think I need to get out more!! Jonathan.

Hello Totenhead, I have tried natural and boiled linseed oil on stocks, and the only difference I can spot is that the natural takes forever to dry. One thing I found that worked well was too use a sewing needle to go round the wire wraps to remove the last of the black paint, and a old and tooth-brush to clean the wooden grooves at the back of the buttstock, Although yours looks fine. I think I need to get out more!! Jonathan.
    Hi Jonathan, yeah i need to get out more as well !!! haha

Have you got any pictures of yours???

MG-42 Butt Stock ?MG-42 Butt Stock ?
    Hello Totenhead, Here they are, from left to right German Mg42, Yugo as I got it, and Yugo with paint removed and linseed oil applied. These Yugo buttstocks wouldn't fit correctly on a M53, the metal grooves on the buffer/buttstock have a different pitch. I know if you fitted a M53 buttstock on a German buffer there would be a gap. So when the Yugos replaced worn-out butttocks on German 42s they got after the War they either re-used German metal work from the German buttstocks or made then to fit the German buffer. But from the outside they are the same shape, but don't have the long part number number beginning with 'S' and are serial number to the Mg42 so the serial number will only go up to 4 digit, Yugo serials are longer. There you go I told you I needed to get out more! Jonathan.

MG-42 Butt Stock ?MG-42 Butt Stock ?
    Hello Totenhead, Here they are, from left to right German Mg42, Yugo as I got it, and Yugo with paint removed and linseed oil applied. These Yugo buttstocks wouldn't fit correctly on a M53, the metal grooves on the buffer/buttstock have a different pitch. I know if you fitted a M53 buttstock on a German buffer there would be a gap. So when the Yugos replaced worn-out butttocks on German 42s they got after the War they either re-used German metal work from the German buttstocks or made then to fit the German buffer. But from the outside they are the same shape, but don't have the long part number number beginning with 'S' and are serial number to the Mg42 so the serial number will only go up to 4 digit, Yugo serials are longer. There you go I told you I needed to get out more! Jonathan.
    Thanks for the pictures Jonathan! Yes I think mine will look fine with a boiled linseed finish. I need to finish it off first, the pictures I posted were just the 1st part, only spent an hour on it last Saturday night, were meant to go out but got engrossed in stripping a butt, but one can’t beat a nice butt!! haha

Severin,

Great reference photo, thank you for posting.
    I didn't realize the size difference.
    I think I will finish mine as you guys suggest.
    The unfinished look isn;t working.

Pit.

MG-42 Butt Stock ?MG-42 Butt Stock ?MG-42 Butt Stock ?MG-42 Butt Stock ?MG-42 Butt Stock ?
    Hello Pit, I know you have an Mg34 as well, so this might also help with the differences. A German WW2 Mg34 and Mg42 buttstock are the same shape, the ends are different, one guns round the others square and the Mg34s buttstock is longer with the metal collar. !st pic left 42 right 34. 2nd pic 42 in front 34 behind. 3rd pic 34 in front 42 behind. 4th pic Yugo (old stumpy) infront, 34, 42 at the back. 5 th pic left to right 34, 42, Yugo. I wish the pics were in 3D, but I hope you can see what I mean in 2D.
    Hello Totenhead, When you have finished with the linseed oil I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your handy work!
    Jonathan.

Well guys, here is the finished butt in all its glory, we all like a nice butt don’t we!!!

I know it’s not an MG-42 and never will be. To be honest, visually I can’t see any difference!! apart from one spot weld, and the grips, but obviously there are lots of differences underneath, if I studied it more there would probably be more visual differences to note.

I like it, it has very nice bluing and a nice patina, some you can buy look brand new!

It can be a good tool to learn the engineering side from

Sorry about he pictures, not very good light here today and outside is rather miserable

All the best anyway!
    Last edited by Totenhead; 12-22-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast