Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

MG.42 with a difference.

Article about: I was showing some friends around Elizabeth Castle here in Jersey, Channel Islands and took the following pictures of the MG.42 which is on display. Nothing amazing but what I did find inter

Default MG.42 with a difference.

I was showing some friends around Elizabeth Castle here in Jersey, Channel Islands and took the following pictures of the MG.42 which is on display. Nothing amazing but what I did find interesting was the replacing of the anti aircraft ring sight mounting bracket from on top og the barrel shroud to the position it is now seen in. There is also another "modification" which I could not work out what it was for. Also the AA arm on the main sight block is missing. This was a modification made here on the Island by a waffenmeister I am sure as the local museum was offered one of each type of gun used here by the Germans by the Liberating Forces and this will be one of those and not a post war import.
    Has anyone else seen anything similar done to a gun elsewhere. I would be interested to know.
    All the best from Jersey.
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MG.42 with a difference.   MG.42 with a difference.  

MG.42 with a difference.   MG.42 with a difference.  

I ask to my friend on the MG forum...
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Hello,

The mystery rear bracket on the top cover is for mounting the ladder/finger sight which has been removed
    from it's original position on the base of the rear sight base (see below). The ladder/finger sight is no longer present for reasons unknown.

MG.42 with a difference.MG.42 with a difference.

You can see how it would line up with the new position of the AA spider sight.
    I can only guess this was because it was fitted to a non standard AA set up with an offset.
    I for one have never seen this before and it's very interesting, thanks for posting.

Jonathan.

?

I looked at the gum a few years back I think its been used on a twin mount

Quote by jeep43 View Post
    I looked at the gum a few years back I think its been used on a twin mount
    That would make sense. If this is correct, the gun would presumably have been the right-hand gun on the mount.

This is one AA modification, can I have a picture of the upper part

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Hi,
    I only have the pictures I posted here. If I go back to the Castle anytime soon I will take some more for you.
    D

In the book on MG, there is only one miror on the sight to fire against planes.

The miror is behind the sight.

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    In the book on MG, there is only one miror on the sight to fire against planes.

The miror is behind the sight.
    If the book you are referring to is Folke Myvrangs Mg34-Mg42 German Universal Machineguns then look at page 420.
    This looks very much to me like it was for mounting the Fliegervisier 42 (FLV 42)
    The sight if it were fitted was different to the kreiskorn spider sight, being elliptical and having more rings for leading aircraft
    moving at different speeds.
    According to Folkes excellent book 'It is not known wether the FLV 42 was ever issued or not, and no known specimens are
    known to exist today'
    This sure looks like the mounting for one, I wonder if they have the sight....?

Jonathan

Folke is a friend of mine, I sent him a link to this thread possibly he has something to add.