Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MG34 Ammo

Article about: Hello Guys just a quick question about Ammo belts do MG34 rounds fit MG42 weapons???? Thank you for your time Terry.

?

Default MG34 Ammo

Hello Guys just a quick question about Ammo belts do MG34 rounds fit MG42 weapons???? Thank you for your time Terry.

Default Re: MG34 Ammo

7.92x57, same ammo in both guns as they were originally issued. MG42 was belt only, but MG34 also accepted drum magazines. Both guns used the same kind of belt.

Many extant MG42s can be found chambered in 7.62x51

?

Thanks for the answer Sovblocgunfan thats all I needed to know!!! Cheers Terry.

?

The MG 34 and the MG 42 both shoot 8mm Mauser ammo and use the same belts. The MG 34 has a 50 round drum that can be attached to the feed tray and loaded with 1 50 round belt but not if it is shoot off its lafette. The MG 42 can also be easily converted to 7.62X51 NATO by replacing the barrel and the feed tray, booster and top cover. I replaced my 42 components and 8mm belts with 7.62X51 belts and the MG 3 components which then allows you to attach a 50 round drum or a 120 round box magazine. You can also purchase a like new MG 3 lafette with optics for $400 and shoot either 8mm or 7.62X51 version from it. I haven't shot my 42 in 8mm in 7 years. The 7.62X51 version is also much easier on the shooter when shooting of the bipod.

Quote by sovblocgunfan View Post
    7.92x57, same ammo in both guns as they were originally issued. MG42 was belt only, but MG34 also accepted drum magazines. Both guns used the same kind of belt.

Many extant MG42s can be found chambered in 7.62x51
    An Mg42 can use a drum, i have seen pictures???

So its confirmed an MG34 belt can be used in an MG-42??

?

The drum the MG 42 uses is for the 7.62X51/308 NATO round and can only be used with the MG 3 feed tray. A totally different drum fron the one is be used on the 8 mm MG 34 & MG 42. I forgot to add in my previous post that the same 50 round drum can be used on both the MG 34 and MG 42. Yes it's confirmed the 8 mm belts for the MG 34 can and are used in the MG 42 and Yugo 53. The same belts can be used in the 308 conversion if the last 2 belt spaces are left empty. Otherwise the 8 mm belts can be damaged it those spaces, The 308 belts have a dog leg at the end to prevent this damage. I use only those belts after had a couple of my 8 mm belts 2 end spaces were damaged.
    I strongly urge anyone interested in the MG 34 or 42 to get Folke Myrvang's Collector Grade book on the MG 34 &MG 42. It's worth every penny it costs.

Amazon.com: folke myrvang

The doppeltrom(spelling) double drum fits the MG34 (and even then the '34 must have a special top cover fitted) - another version fits the MG15 - the saddle drum does not fit on the MG42.
    The MG42 and MG34 both accept 50 round assault drums, basically a device for holding a 50 round belt in place and stopping it from snagging in the field - it also allows one man to shoot the MG without a loader steadying/feeding the belt - standing, on the move, from cover, etc.,

My WW2 era assault drums feed .308 blanks just perfectly, I use a mix of WW2 belts and Yugo M53 surplus, both must have the links widened slightly - using a custom steel rod made from the handle of a wrench - it's time consuming, but the reliability of a well tuned MG depends almost entirely on the belts themselves.

Hope this is helpful,

Pit.

?

Quote by pitfighter View Post
    The doppeltrom(spelling) double drum fits the MG34 (and even then the '34 must have a special top cover fitted) - another version fits the MG15 - the saddle drum does not fit on the MG42.
    The MG42 and MG34 both accept 50 round assault drums, basically a device for holding a 50 round belt in place and stopping it from snagging in the field - it also allows one man to shoot the MG without a loader steadying/feeding the belt - standing, on the move, from cover, etc.,

My WW2 era assault drums feed .308 blanks just perfectly, I use a mix of WW2 belts and Yugo M53 surplus, both must have the links widened slightly - using a custom steel rod made from the handle of a wrench - it's time consuming, but the reliability of a well tuned MG depends almost entirely on the belts themselves.

Hope this is helpful,

Pit.

While it's widely believed that the MG 15 saddle drum doesn't work on the MG 34 because of the much higher tension on the MG 15 saddle drum my friend who has a original milled top cover for his MG 34 asked me to try some of my MG 15 drums on his 34. 1 of them worked flawlessly. We determined after seeing how much lower the spring tension was on the one that worked that it had a muck lower spring tension that the others. He bought several of the MG 15 saddle drums and found after opening the back cover that the tension could be adjusted. He is now happily shooting his MG 34 with the adjusted MG 15 saddle drums. The picture above was taken after he had his saddle drums working.

On the use of WW II belts or Yugo 53 belts in the MG 42 I have had no problem using them without alteration firing 7.62X51/308 ammo in my MG 42. But you have to leave the last 2 belt slots empty or the bolt my damage the end of the belt. I have my MG 42 set up with the MG 3 top cover, feed tray, Steyr barrel and the HK 50 round plastic drum or 120 round box magazine what attaches to the MG 3 feed tray. I also use 308 belts that have a dog leg on the end of the belt which allows the belt to be used without any damage. THis set upalso allows you to use links if you wish. It's just easier to buy the 308 loader to load the belts.

Do they shoot cheap 308 surplus fine? man,thats gotta be a blast to own and shoot!!

The MG15 saddle drums are easier to find, and a little cheaper - that is good that your friend found they worked with a little adjustment.

My MG15 and MG34 are demilled, so they doen't warrant the extra accessories, lol.
    Attachment 412775

Pit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast