Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

MG34 Ammo

Article about: Hello Guys just a quick question about Ammo belts do MG34 rounds fit MG42 weapons???? Thank you for your time Terry.

?

Default Re: MG34 Ammo

Quote by command450 View Post
    Do they shoot cheap 308 surplus fine? man, that's gotta be a blast to own and shoot!!
    Jim (owner) as far as I know has never tried 308 in the saddle drum but I don't believe it would work in 308 barrel and feed tray would have to be changed at a minimum and 308 conversions for the MG 34 have been problematic at best let alone trying to get it to work with the saddle drum.

Yes - just reread my post, it wasn't 100% clear, as I thought it was obvious - my '42 has the Yugo .308 kit in it, you obviously cannot shoot .308 in an 8mm firearm.

Pit.

?

Quote by pitfighter View Post
    Yes - just reread my post, it wasn't 100% clear, as I thought it was obvious - my '42 has the Yugo .308 kit in it, you obviously cannot shoot .308 in an 8mm firearm.

Pit.
    I misunderstood what you were saying only because I thought you were initially referring to the saddle drum shooting 308, my bad. As I said before Bob Landies firm, OOW, back a number of years ago was selling 308 conversions for the 34 that never worked very well.

As for the MG 42 I only shoot mine with the 308 conversion. The latest 308 top cover has a device that holds the top cover partially open so it doesn't slam down on your hand when changing belts particularly if you are shooting of the AA tripod.

Once again you have a great collection. I also have a Webley Fosberry and a minty G41M 42 dated that I never fired. It would be just my luck to shoot it and have a part break or the stock to split at the wrist which I have heard was one of the many problems with the G41M.
    Sam

?

Quote by pitfighter View Post
    The MG15 saddle drums are easier to find, and a little cheaper - that is good that your friend found they worked with a little adjustment.

My MG15 and MG34 are demilled, so they doen't warrant the extra accessories, lol.

Attachment 412775

Pit.
    He told me that once the back cover was off there was a 3 position setting to reset the spring tension. After that it was trial and error until he got the right setting. He also has a 2nd milled top cover as a spare. Neither of us have ever seen a real MG 34 saddle drum for sale and hear that they are very very expensive and as rare as hens teeth at least here in the US.

Samnev, I liked the Fosbery a lot, but it has been moved on - I had it in my collection for a while, photographed it, shot it, but someone who really wanted it now has it.

The G41(m) is nice - it is a 1941 marked rifle, the bolt and stock are not matching numbers, everything else is. Which is odd, as the "Bang" gas catcher is usually mismatched - I heard they were thrown in buckets of gasoline to clean them off; when the gas catcher is bad so goes the wonderfully complex mechanism - I will not ever fire mine.

Pit.

PS - interestingly I just received a package from Europe, and there's a saddle drum in there - too touch to see if it's 34 or 15 - it's long past it's prime though, lol.
    2012-10-22144311.jpg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MG34 Ammo   MG34 Ammo  

MG34 Ammo  
    Last edited by pitfighter; 10-22-2012 at 10:50 PM.

?

Pit,
    I was very lucky mine is all matching. I debated a long time and finally decided not to fire it even has the original sling and bayonet and frog. The bayonet and scabbard match but not to the rifle and is in mint condition as well. I posted photos of it on the board a while ago. I might add that the rifle doesn't seem to have been fired very much.
    Sam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2