Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mg42

Article about: Hi guys, I would like your opinion on this MG42, the body and top cover have matching numbers not sure about the rest, to me the top cover looks in really good condition in comparison to the

Default Re: Mg42

Very nice Von, I take it that is a WW2 MG42 on a MG3 Lafette? And I take it she is a live firer? I do like the MG3, fired hundreds of rnds through one of them, never got bored
    Ben

tony
    ?

Awsome looking weapon Von Sphinctor. Not having had any experience with machine guns, how is this particular MG fired from when attached to that elaborate looking tripod? Obviously you couldn't fire it in the conventional manner from this tripod. Is there some sort of linkage that is operated from behind the tripod. From the look of it you wouldn't want to be in a hurry to set it up!

Quote by tony View Post
    Awsome looking weapon Von Sphinctor. Not having had any experience with machine guns, how is this particular MG fired from when attached to that elaborate looking tripod? Obviously you couldn't fire it in the conventional manner from this tripod. Is there some sort of linkage that is operated from behind the tripod. From the look of it you wouldn't want to be in a hurry to set it up!
    Hi Tony
    This tripod is post war.It was made in 1976 by HK.You are on target with your thoughts.There is a linkage attached to a lever on the back of the tripod.Push down the lever and "happy day".The gun fits into the tripod easily,and the trigger mechanism is spring mounted so it falls right into place.The tripod also has 2 shock absorbers on the front to reduce movement due to recoil.Super fun setup but the pod is heavy.Most mg's were handled by a crew.The tripod also folds and can be worn on the back,thats what the pads are for.Thanks for your interest.

?

*uncontrolable drooling will not allow me to type!

tony
    ?

Thank you for your reply Von Sphinctor. I can only dream of ever owning or firing one of these babies. I was a fitter and turner by trade and own several rifles, mostly modern hunting rifles. I was also a member of the New South Wales Police Force for 15 years here in Australia. Was issued a Model 10 Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolver and later the Glock .41 (10mm)cal semi-auto pistol. The .38 was a pea shooter compared to the Glock (no, I didn't get to shoot anyone). That's about it as far as my experience with firearms goes. Having been a metal tradesmen prior to joining the police force I am very interested and fascinated by any engineering of European origin from both world wars, particularly stuff made by the Germans. Obviously a lot of people on here share my morbid fascination. There is just something about German WWII engineering. My grandfather was in the British navy during WWII on the British carrier HMS Illustrious. He was also a fitter and used to repair the Swordfish torpedo planes. He used to buy me airfix models and it must have been frustrating for him because I only ever wanted the German planes and tanks. I won't bore you all anymore with my mundane stories. Thanks again Von Sphinctor.
    Last edited by tony; 11-04-2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: thank von sph for answering my question

Tony,
    Stick around, my buddies and I have a lot of cool enginering to share with youGod bless your relatives who served!

david hackman
    ?

Alright dave here from ireland. love all your stuff lads.
    Iv only just joined and want to start collcting.
    Hope to get a few tips off ya's in the future.

i've tried to find out WHERE and WHEN was MG42 first use in combat , some sources say africa,other russia...would you know?

HVK
    ?

Firing the MG-42 (MG-3) in a tripod makes its much more accurate. You are able to start shoothing at enemies at much longer distances. Between 1000 - 2000 meters. Typically with a spotter.

What it is also good at is prepared shootings. In day ligth you set out trip flares in the most obvious enemy routes - and you sigth in the tripod for all the prepared shootings. Often you do a little map with all the flares and the figures for adjusting the tripod. So if a mine or trip flare is discharged you just adjust the tripod to shooting XX - and start firing !!!

But you loose some flexibility with the MG in a tripod, and shooting at enemies in less than 5-600m should be using the bipod. But the good thing is that it is easy to install and take out again.

The MG-42 is a beautifull gun - and I miss shooting it (although I only have fired the Nato version MG-3). If the gun is in good shape it will never have a jam and it can handle much sand and dirt before it being a problem...

Here is a original video on Youtube with german soldiers firing the MG-42 - alsom in tripod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-Rkj8f7vA

HVK [QUOTE) Here is a original video on Youtube with german soldiers firing the MG-42 - alsom in tripod YouTube - WW2 German MG34 & MG42 Machine Gun - "Westerwald" & "Erika" Deutsche Marsch Musik[/QUOTE]

these colour scenes by the end of video are from "tank brigade" and "cross of iron" films
    here is one similar with little bit of firing sound too
    YouTube - WW2 MG34 & MG42 Maschinen Gewehr WWII German Machine Gun in Action

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2