Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MG42 but stock original?

Article about: Hi everyone, I need help with my mg42 stock that came with an all original (still some doubts on charging handle and feed tray) MG42. I suspect it being yugo but am a bit confused, even afte

?

Default MG42 but stock original?

Hi everyone,

I need help with my mg42 stock that came with an all original (still some doubts on charging handle and feed tray) MG42. I suspect it being yugo but am a bit confused, even after some research.. It fits my german buffer perfectly so one could say it's all good. But the shape looks more like a yugo. So maybe it's one of those yugo stocks made to fit the german MG which were also used postwar.
    A thing that I already saw is that the square nut has been replaced by a hex. In the metalwork no stamps (or yugo-like serials) can be found. The wood is only stamped with a 4 digid code.

The quick release knob also strikes me as odd. Can someone tell me what I have?
    Have I been ripped off or should I atleast be happy with the original (?) metalwork?

Thanks your thoughts!

MG42 but stock original?MG42 but stock original?MG42 but stock original?MG42 but stock original?MG42 but stock original?MG42 but stock original?
    Last edited by Kaske; 11-06-2016 at 10:51 PM.

I would be inclined to think that its off a Yugo copy - the MG53. Someone has made a poor attempt at removing all the black paint.

Hello,

What you have is a Yugo re-work using WW2 German metal parts, in other words the wooden part is post war Yugo and the metal work is WW2 German. Another way to spot the Yugo ones other than the shape is to count the number of wire wraps around the buttstock 6 = Yugo,
    5 = WW2 German. The buttstock release button is an early made one, 1942/43 later on they are smooth. Originally it might have had the early Bakelite buttstock, my favourite one.

Jonathan.