Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Article about: Awesome Joe! A beauty of a Mosin Sniper. What did you enjoy shooting more......the sniper or the new Garand? Seeing that last grouping, I would call that a successful day at the range. If yo

Default Re: Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Thanks for taking the time to speak with me on the phone, Mark! Amazingly informative and helpful... this is what this forum is all about!

The more I play with it... the more I realize that the laser may be a waste. I need to go to the range and sight it the old fashioned way.

This is roughly what I'm dealing with now... does it look better to you?

?

It looks a lot better - still a little high in the sight picture. If you can get that lower screw free, this is an easy correction - back the upper screw out a little, tighten the lower until the mount is snug and recheck the sight picture. Repeat until you have the crosshairs centered.

The interesting thing will be seeing where you ultimately end up after you zero it.

It was a pleasure to talk to you last night - and I am happy to have been able to help a bit. That IS what makes this forum great - so many people pitch in to provide information and advice. As I said on the phone, it's just a little bit of "paying it forward."

Quote by MarkV View Post
    It looks a lot better - still a little high in the sight picture. If you can get that lower screw free, this is an easy correction - back the upper screw out a little, tighten the lower until the mount is snug and recheck the sight picture. Repeat until you have the crosshairs centered.

The interesting thing will be seeing where you ultimately end up after you zero it.

It was a pleasure to talk to you last night - and I am happy to have been able to help a bit. That IS what makes this forum great - so many people pitch in to provide information and advice. As I said on the phone, it's just a little bit of "paying it forward."
    Thanks, Mark! I think what I really need is a REAL gun sled and not a deck chair with my sweater propping up the rifle...

I have a feeling that I'm close... although I was trying to keep perfectly still, while talking to you on the phone I could feel my rifle moving slightly both on it's own in the improvised deck chair "sled" and then every time I adjusted the knobs.

I promise to pay it forward!

Can anyone comment on whether or not this sling would be proper?

Mosin Nagant Thong Tie Sling WIDE Strap | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle   Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle  

Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle   Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle  

I would just get one of the dog collar slings. If you find one with pigskin that would be a wartime sling. I havent ever seen those Ebay slings before, not that they are incorrect... I just havent seen them. Also, doesnt look like you can adjust the length any. I quit using slings on my Mosins, just another buckle to scratch the finish, but thats just me. Very nice rifle! PM me and I can give you a couple of nifty links to look at if you havent already seen them... There are two web sites in particular that have a wealth of knowledge waiting for you.

Nathan

Hi Joe, I have seen this general design of sling before, they are wartime, but I have only seen them used on SMG's before? This length and width / colour is one I have not seen before? They are usually unbleached canvas. I would stick to the conventional pattern.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Joe, maybe this will help:

Russian Combloc slings

None of that style shown.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for the help Nathan and Ade!

Hi guys,

I FINALLY got the chance to take my PU to the range... WOW What a stress reliever! It has been almost 3 months since the last time I've shot.

Using the tips and tricks you guys shared with me (and the super long conversation I had with Mark over the phone... WHAT A GREAT GUY!), I was able to zero my scope reasonably well. It could use some fine tuning, but I'm really happy thus far.

First, I fired 5 rnds to check my rifle for function. It works great and cycles smoothly! I also heard that you need to "warm-up" the barrel before zeroing the scope...

Then, I set up my target at the mark labeled 50yrds on the range... but I suspect it to be closer to 35 or 40yrds... I also setup my rifle vise.

I bore sighted my rifle. Here is the first grouping after bore sighting my rifle. 4 shots in the same general area... one flyer way low and to the left.

I then adjusted my scope so that the cross hairs were centered in the middle of the 4 shot bore-sighted grouping.

My grouping after adjusting the scope :

I took a few more shots using my gun vise and was satisfied with the results.

I then took the rifle off the vise and shot unassisted at the target. Here is my final grouping at ~50yrds without using the gun vise to steady my aim:

Overall, I am VERY pleased! My crosshairs are riding a little high in the scope, but I'm not bothered by it too much. It is AWESOME to be able to put rounds on target using a scope. I now deem myself Comrade Sniper Joe T

?

Joe,

Great work!! In reality, your crosshairs should be above center line at 50 or 100 yards to allow for sufficient adjustment out to 100 yards and beyond. And, with the results you've had, there is nothing to be worried about. You will also see better consistency with handloads that you do with the MILSURP or even the commercial stuff. Congrats!!

Mark

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast