Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Article about: Awesome Joe! A beauty of a Mosin Sniper. What did you enjoy shooting more......the sniper or the new Garand? Seeing that last grouping, I would call that a successful day at the range. If yo

?

Default Re: Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Awesome Joe! A beauty of a Mosin Sniper. What did you enjoy shooting more......the sniper or the new Garand? Seeing that last grouping, I would call that a successful day at the range. If you go to the range here, you have to use there low-grain ammo...so I only go when I feel like Ive annoyed the neighbors too much! They make you shoot through a funnel/cone here.
    Great info from Mark on this thread too

Nice grouping!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Joe,

Great work!! In reality, your crosshairs should be above center line at 50 or 100 yards to allow for sufficient adjustment out to 100 yards and beyond. And, with the results you've had, there is nothing to be worried about. You will also see better consistency with handloads than you do with the MILSURP or even the commercial stuff. Congrats!!

Mark
    Thanks, Mark! I couldn't have done it without you!

I had an hour and a half window of opportunity to run to the range yesterday and I took it. I figured that even if I couldn't get the rifle zeroed correctly, being outside and squeezing off some rounds would be enough of a stress reliever. After being able to put 5 rnds on target just by bore-sighting, I knew things would go well and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

I used modern commercial 7.62x54r in steel cases. A lot of people say that this stuff causes sticky bolt, but I experienced no problems.

You don't think this is too high?

?

As long as you are comfortable with it in terms of gettign a good sight picture, it should be OK. With this type of sight - as opposed to the more modern ones where the reticle pattern remains centered - as the horizontal line drops or raises you begin to lose some of your windage adjustment (remember that you are looking through a circle with the widest point being centered both horizontally and vertically). In reality, you'd have to be dealing with some pretty intense winds and distances to have to worry about the impact of the loss. So, the real issue is your comfort with the sight picture you have.

If you crank the elevation knob out to 1000 or 1200 yards, you'll see that the crosshairs drop as you do. Having it higher in your sight picture at 100 yards means that you will have sufficient room to adjust out to maximum ranges without bottoming out.

The only way to adjust your scope to lower the reticle would be to loosen the upper small screw on your sight rail and then tighten the lower screw a few turns - then retighten the upper one. If I remember right, your lower screw is staked so the sight picture you have was the one intended when the scope was basically fitted to the rifle.

Personally, I prefer to start with my sight picture closer to center - but that is just me. I have found that when shooting the handload ammo I have that even when starting out pretty much centered at 50 yards, I still have lots of room when I crank out to 1000 yards and beyond. In fact, I found that when shooting at 600 yards, my elevation drum was only set at just under 400 to put me in the bull. So, I have mine adjusted for my preference.

My Tula - which came out of the same group of rifles as yours, also has the lower screw staked and the sight picture is set high. I don't intend to use this rifle for competition so I won't mess with it.

Again, it sounds like you are comfortable with it and it puts rounds where you want to...a perfect combination!!

I haven't had any problems with stell cased ammo, either. I think that some of the issue that people report is caused by a build-up of copper/powder in the chamber after firing a lot of rounds. Even with normal cleaning, the build up of copper takes place and can affect the rifle's chamber and bore. I now use Patch-Out after every 150 to 200 rounds to clean the chamber/bore and then follow with a normal cleaning and then polish the Barrel with JB Bore Bright.

Enjoy that rifle - looks like a keeper!!!

Quote by markv View Post
    as long as you are comfortable with it in terms of gettign a good sight picture, it should be ok. With this type of sight - as opposed to the more modern ones where the reticle pattern remains centered - as the horizontal line drops or raises you begin to lose some of your windage adjustment (remember that you are looking through a circle with the widest point being centered both horizontally and vertically). In reality, you'd have to be dealing with some pretty intense winds and distances to have to worry about the impact of the loss. So, the real issue is your comfort with the sight picture you have.

If you crank the elevation knob out to 1000 or 1200 yards, you'll see that the crosshairs drop as you do. Having it higher in your sight picture at 100 yards means that you will have sufficient room to adjust out to maximum ranges without bottoming out.

The only way to adjust your scope to lower the reticle would be to loosen the upper small screw on your sight rail and then tighten the lower screw a few turns - then retighten the upper one. If i remember right, your lower screw is staked so the sight picture you have was the one intended when the scope was basically fitted to the rifle.

Personally, i prefer to start with my sight picture closer to center - but that is just me. I have found that when shooting the handload ammo i have that even when starting out pretty much centered at 50 yards, i still have lots of room when i crank out to 1000 yards and beyond. In fact, i found that when shooting at 600 yards, my elevation drum was only set at just under 400 to put me in the bull. So, i have mine adjusted for my preference.

My tula - which came out of the same group of rifles as yours, also has the lower screw staked and the sight picture is set high. I don't intend to use this rifle for competition so i won't mess with it.

Again, it sounds like you are comfortable with it and it puts rounds where you want to...a perfect combination!!

I haven't had any problems with stell cased ammo, either. I think that some of the issue that people report is caused by a build-up of copper/powder in the chamber after firing a lot of rounds. Even with normal cleaning, the build up of copper takes place and can affect the rifle's chamber and bore. I now use patch-out after every 150 to 200 rounds to clean the chamber/bore and then follow with a normal cleaning and then polish the barrel with jb bore bright.

Enjoy that rifle - looks like a keeper!!!
    thanks, mark! :d

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Nice grouping!

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks, Ade!

Quote by Bill T View Post
    Awesome Joe! A beauty of a Mosin Sniper. What did you enjoy shooting more......the sniper or the new Garand? Seeing that last grouping, I would call that a successful day at the range. If you go to the range here, you have to use there low-grain ammo...so I only go when I feel like Ive annoyed the neighbors too much! They make you shoot through a funnel/cone here.
    Great info from Mark on this thread too
    Thanks, Bill! Believe it or not, I haven't shoot the Garand yet. I met the the editor of the Garand Collector's Assoc. Magazine and he invited me to his range to shoot the Garand and make a data sheet on my rifle. Hopefully our schedules will work out soon!

My brother is visiting from college so I took him out to the range today to shoot the Mosin again.

I added more weight to my rifle vise and that really helped to zero the scope even better...
    Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper RifleMosin M91/30 PU Sniper RifleMosin M91/30 PU Sniper RifleMosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Had a little fun with a photo of my girlfriend lol...

"Cross of Irony 2"

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9