Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mosin Nagant 91/30 identification help please

Article about: Hi Eric I had the option of putting a high eye relief or 'Scout' scope but opted for a standard Tasco I had in the cupboard. The eye relief isn't as good but suits my shooting style, (slow a

?

Default Mosin Nagant 91/30 identification help please

last week I purchased my second Mosin Nagant 91/30 -

I'm having trouble identifying the markings on the barrel and receiver and wondered if I could once again tap into the knowledge banks of the forum.

Some pictures to show you of the complete rifle - then the markings

Barrel:

Magazine:

Reciever:

Bolt:

Butt Plate:

I'm particularly interested in the 'A 1946 USSR' markings and their meaning.

The rifle was not butchered in any way when I installed the scope and mounts and can be returned to the original format when I choose.

Thanks in advance guys

?

Default Re: Mosin Nagant 91/30 identification help please

Hi Chris,
    Your 91/30 is a product of the Izhevsk arsenal (arrow in triangle logo) made in 1942. The Soviets refurbished it at some point as shown by the X in a square on the receiver. The "A 1946" marked was applied by the rifle's original US importer Liberty Arms International of Albion, New York. I have no idea what "A 1946" refers to, probably a term invented by Liberty Arms. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Len

In addition the magazine floorplate has been renumbered to match the rifle's no. during refurbishing (replacement part from another scrapped rifle). Possibly the bolt as well but the rifles made in 1942/43 had finish that was somewhat rough and ready given the desperate war situation and need for maximum production.

I reckon the A1946 is some sort of inventory/stock control stamp applied by Liberty.

There is one here numbered A9171

Scratching the Mosin Itch - MO Triple Date

Regards

Richie

?

Thanks Guys - I knew you would.nt let me down LOL So.......... made in Russia, exported to USA, Exported to NZ ? This rifle is more traveled that ME! )

Now I'll take her down to the range and see how she performs!

what scope n mount are on it ?? i want a scope on mine

?

Hi Dave
    Its a std 91/30 rear sight replacement mount - high rings and a Tasco Golden Antler scope. The scope hasn't got enough eye relief in that position which is why its located as far back as possible. Its very accurate and I had multiple hits at a 200m metal gong last week using surplus ammo.

The Gong is an 18 inch steel plate.

The set-up limits the speed of reloading but that's compensated for in the accuracy of the rifle. I'm very happy with it

Nice finish on the stock, what method did you use? I have an Izhevsk with a laminated stock I want to re-finish.

?

Hi csty6973

I used 00 extra fine wire wool just to tickle the surface scuffs and armoury coating off whilst retaining the heavier dings and blemishes to ensure the character of the rifle is kept. I then used an oil based red pigment, let it dry and then used a stock oil on it to even out the colour. I prefer this type of finish to the armoury 'brush-over' because I use and handle my rifles alot rather than keep them under glass. I'm using barnaul & surpluss ammo at the moment but hope to be reloading my own in time to come to get the true potential out of this rifle.

I had one of these sight replacement mounts my problem was it had to sit so far foward to clear the bolt it made it hard to see through the scope.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast