Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

mosin nagant bolt

Article about: my brothers mosin nagant bolt has a bit of resistance when trying to lift it anyone know how to fix it http://warrelics.eu/forum/firearms-o...385/#post84183

Default mosin nagant bolt

my brothers mosin nagant bolt has a bit of resistance when trying to lift it anyone know how to fix it
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...385/#post84183

Default Re: mosin nagant bolt

Quote by MR MATT View Post
    my brothers mosin nagant bolt has a bit of resistance when trying to lift it anyone know how to fix it
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...385/#post84183
    It could be a result of yrs. of built up lacquer in the breach. They do become kinda sticky over time. Clean it out with a bore brush and some bore cleaner. Although some may scoff,You could also use a electric drill with the brush. Do not go into the rifling of the barrel.Just do the chamber area.

Hello Mr Matt,
    It's a good idea to completely clean the bolt components with a good quality solvent and when the solvent has been removed, (wiped dry), lubricate VERY lightly with a good gun oil, (Youngs .303 is OK) but use the absolute minimum or the components will soon accumulate dust and clog the works up again. Clean the chamber with a bronze brush, wipe using 4"x2" patch and lightly lubricate with a mop. Similarly clean the inside of the receiver and again VERY lightly lubricate.
    Hope this helps you?
    Cheers,
    navyman.

We have cleaned and fired this rifle a few times now but the action still doesn't work smoothly like it is suposed to. Is there anything eles you guys might think it could be, like something too tight?

Quote by MR MATT View Post
    We have cleaned and fired this rifle a few times now but the action still doesn't work smoothly like it is suposed to. Is there anything eles you guys might think it could be, like something too tight?
    I still believe it may well be a lacquer problem.Mine still give the same problem,although not as bad as at first.What kind of ammo are you using?

Quote by packin9 View Post
    I still believe it may well be a lacquer problem.Mine still give the same problem,although not as bad as at first.What kind of ammo are you using?

It is quite possible you also have a burr in the chamber. When does the bolt bind? After firing? Can you work the bolt in order to load a live round from the mag box?

Mosins are not known for having smooth bolts like Enfields-quite the contrary. Even when they are squeaky clean they can sometimes require a little effort to open.

Edit: I just saw your photos. Nice rifle. 1947 is one of the harder to find years. Keep cleaning it. You can take it to the range, put 5 rounds downrange to heat up the chamber, then clean it, then put another 5 downrange, clean it, etc. Bolt may still be tougher to work than you expect.

Quote by sovblocgunfan View Post
    It is quite possible you also have a burr in the chamber. When does the bolt bind? After firing? Can you work the bolt in order to load a live round from the mag box?
    I have 5 Mosins. They all were pretty 'sticky'. In addition to lacquer build up over the yrs. prior to my getting them I believe it may well just be inherent with them. Mine are clean. Heat build up etc. may contribute even more. Opening the bolt was when it got sticky.Very doable after cleaning though. It chambers just fine. Like I stated to MR MATT, clean that lacquer out. It should make a difference.

Quote by packin9 View Post
    I have 5 Mosins. They all were pretty 'sticky'. In addition to lacquer build up over the yrs. prior to my getting them I believe it may well just be inherent with them. Mine are clean. Heat build up etc. may contribute even more. Opening the bolt was when it got sticky.Very doable after cleaning though. It chambers just fine. Like I stated to MR MATT, clean that lacquer out. It should make a difference.
    I'm with you-note edit about cleaning in my post. Likely that's all it is. He can switch to copper washed ammo-that might help reduce the issue after proper cleaning. I still think Mr. Matt should check his spent brass, though. I do have a Romanian M44 with a burr in the chamber-it'll cycle fine till you pull the trigger. Once you get the bolt open, you can see the scratches on the spent brass...

Changing ammo after a good cleaning would be a step in the right direction indeed!

About hard turning bolt:

A little tune up of the bolt body and cocking piece is all it needs.

If you look on the top of the cocking ramp/cocking piece you'll see a little ridge, if you look on the bolt body you will see a corresponding V groove in the bolt body that the cocking piece sits in in the cocked/open position.

If you stone down the top of the V in the cocking piece and touch up smooth the edge's of the V groove in the Bolt body you will have a much smoother break/closure during the initial turning down of the bolt.

Another area to look at is for Chamber burrs in the 2:00 o’clock to 5:00 o'clock from the extractor rubbing against the chamber end (closing bolt on empty chamber) and rolling a burr into the chamber, check for scrapes in that area from extraction, if you have them you will need to deburr and or polish chamber edges.

You do not need to cut any coils off of the firing pin spring to get a smoother less effort bolt lift to load the Moison 91 rifle.
    The Moison 91/30 and all its variants already have a very slow lock-time due too the heavy mass of metal/parts (cocking piece) attached to the firing pin and spring, removing firing pin coils only slows down the lock time more and may cause misfires (light striker hits) in cold weather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast