Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Mosin Nagant Brass end caps?

Article about: Hello My most recent mosin nagant 91/30 seems to have brass endcaps? Anyone know why these are on my particular rifle? Its a 1943 dated Izhevesk 91/30. I looked around for information but co

Default Mosin Nagant Brass end caps?

Hello

My most recent mosin nagant 91/30 seems to have brass endcaps?
    Anyone know why these are on my particular rifle? Its a 1943 dated Izhevesk 91/30.
    I looked around for information but couldn't find much. If you would like pictures unfortunately I cant provide them at the moment but there are some here: Mosin Nagant Russian/Soviet Stocks
    Just look for brass w/ no rivets

Thanks

Default Re: Mosin Nagant Brass end caps?

Hi Ben,

M91/30 handguards with brass or copper end caps are just earlier variants. There is nothing particularly special about them... perhaps a little more rare, and some people think they look more handsome on their rifles (me included!).

If you're asking how an early handguard got on your 1943 rifle... Most M91/30s went through an arsenal re-building process. During this process, rifles got stripped down and broken/ worn out parts were replaced before the rifles went into storage for use in WWIII .

When these rifles were put back together, the workers grabbed parts at random from parts bins. In all likelihood, this is how your rifle ended up wearing the handguard that it has now.

P.S. - I just purchased a handguard with brass tabs for my 1930 dated M91/30. It cost me $18, shipping included.

Ah so that's how. Thanks for the info gizmo

No problemo! I'd love to see photos of your rifle if you get a chance! I'm assuming from your signature that it's deact?

Yeah all my Mosins are deacts, im still waiting for the day I get to shoot one of those great rifles.
    I have two with another on the way, all wartime 91/30's and im looking for a carbine now, they really are addictive to collect!
    When I get my camera back ill put some pics up hopefully

My handguard with brass tabs just arrived:
    Mosin Nagant Brass end caps?

Here are my Mosins, all live... If you ever make it to the north east, U.S., look me up! I'll take you shooting!

Mosin Nagant Brass end caps?Mosin Nagant Brass end caps?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosin Nagant Brass end caps?  

Very nice rifles gizmo! Is the sniper an original?

Yep! The rifle is a 1943 Izhevsk with a 1944 scope. It's very accurate! Amazingly fun to shoot!!