Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mosin Nagant purchasing tips?

Article about: by ObKrieger Thanks for that link, Mark. That will work! I don't need a fancy Garand, just a shooter that I can reenact with. Joe, that's strange. I thought that pretty much every gun club c

Default Re: Mosin Nagant purchasing tips?

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm not looking for an authentic sniper... I'm not sure I could afford it!

Hello again, everybody!

I visited the gun shop again today. They brought a new Mosin-Nagant sniper onto the sales floor. I was able to secretly snap these pictures... I know the pictures are horrible, but I'm hoping they'll be enough for you guys to base your opinion off of.

Here are the specs that I know of:

The receiver is date stamped 1939. I remember seeing the soviet hammer and sickle, and a triangle with an arrow stamped into the receiver. The stock is laminated. A lot of the serial numbers on the gun match, including the bolt. With that being said, I'm not really sure the bolt counts. Finally, the rifle is priced at $500.

Pics:
    Mosin Nagant purchasing tips?Mosin Nagant purchasing tips?Mosin Nagant purchasing tips?Mosin Nagant purchasing tips?

The shop owner is only holding it for me until tomorrow. Quick responses would be greatly appreciated!

Hammer and sickle in a wreath is a post 1928 mark for the Izhevsk arsenal-the triangle and arrow is a post war Izhevsk refurbishment mark and a laminated stock is a post war refurb one.

PS The bolthandle is incorrect for a Soviet sniper-should be longer, needs the stock to have a channel cut into it so that it lies flat with the knob next to the magazine.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Hammer and sickle in a wreath is a post 1928 mark for the Izhevsk arsenal-the triangle and arrow is a post war Izhevsk refurbishment mark and a laminated stock is a post war refurb one.
    Thanks for the lightning fast response, Lithgow! Does it seem like a good buy, or no?

Depends on what you want but it's not a very good repro of the sniper rifle-I would think that in the US you would be able to find a better repro for the money.

?

SOuthern Ohio has that same gun, with sling, oil can, etc. for $359. You can easily do better than $500 - saw them at our local gun show in Allentown for $400 several weks ago. Invest $30 and get your C&R license and you can purchase directly from SOG. Or, go to another Class 1 FFL dealer and have them transfer one - it will still cost you far less than $500 and you'll get the same rifle with all the extras.

?

By the way, you can see the import marks in your picture on the side of the receiver. These are coming in from Ukraine where they are converted to snipers. Nice. Fun. But, not worth the extra he's charging.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! You all just saved me some hard earned money! THANK YOU!

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Depends on what you want but it's not a very good repro of the sniper rifle-I would think that in the US you would be able to find a better repro for the money.
    What would you consider a better repro?

Have a look at the 'Mosin-Nagant.net site, go to the Sniper section and see what a real one should look like-there are repros that are close matches for a real one but you need to know what it should appear like.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast