Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mosin Nagant unknown marking

Article about: by General Patton But is the stock original ww2? Everything else is stamped 1942! So im thinking it might be original, but it could be a surplus stock(hoping its original ww2) And these weap

Default Mosin Nagant unknown marking

Here is my ww2 Mosin Nagant! There is strange marking on my rifle stock that i cant identify, can anyone help identify it? it looks like an upside down "U" but more squarish like this l_l upside down

P.S yes that is a reproduction sling and modern bipod
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosin Nagant unknown marking   Mosin Nagant unknown marking  

Mosin Nagant unknown marking   Mosin Nagant unknown marking  

Default Re: Mosin Nagant unknown marking

Could be a machinist clamp marking. I own three (3) RIFLES, no similiar markings on mine. I own a 1922 date stamp model, a 1938, and a 1943 date stamped models. The 1938 date stamped is a carbine model.
    Off the topic, I hunt with the Mosin and do not let anyone tell you that it is not powerful enought to bring down an animal. I have killed a bull moose (53 inch rack) with the 1938 model and a 1800 lb brown bear with the 1922 model. Powerful weapons!
    If you can read-"Thank your teacher"
    If you can read-in ENGLISH-
    "Thank a United States Marine!"

But is the stock original ww2? Everything else is stamped 1942! So im thinking it might be original, but it could be a surplus stock(hoping its original ww2)

And these weapons are very powerful, I agree with you all the way! I want to buy another one but well see what happens next!

That mark, I can't make it with my keyboard, but it's a Russian equivalent of our letter "P". It could be a marking for a wide variety of things. Perhaps you can look up all of the Russian words that start with "P" and have something to do with Mosins?

Hi General, I'm with Linton, I've got two Mosey's and seen many more. I've never seen those kind of marks or know of any arsenal marks that look like that. They are much too deep for mundane markings. You've dropped some massive meat casings there Linton, good job! There's nothing down in my parts half that big.

Jay

?

Quote by General Patton View Post
    But is the stock original ww2? Everything else is stamped 1942! So im thinking it might be original, but it could be a surplus stock(hoping its original ww2)

And these weapons are very powerful, I agree with you all the way! I want to buy another one but well see what happens next!
    The rifle is only as powerfull as the ammo used : ) The various Russian surplus ammo that I have bought has been dissapointing to say the least, in fact I would go so far as to say that without exeption it's the most useless ammo that I have ever had the misfortune to use. It can transformed by loading with pulled 7.62 x 39 bullets and 56 grains of BLC- 2. This shoots really flat and fast.

BTW, The Mosins I have shot are not accurate with the bayonet removed no matter what ammo is used. The weight on the end of the barrel acts as a damper on the floating barrel. I doubt yours will shoot well with the bipod.

Quote by Mick View Post
    The rifle is only as powerfull as the ammo used : ) The various Russian surplus ammo that I have bought has been dissapointing to say the least, in fact I would go so far as to say that without exeption it's the most useless ammo that I have ever had the misfortune to use. It can transformed by loading with pulled 7.62 x 39 bullets and 56 grains of BLC- 2. This shoots really flat and fast.

BTW, The Mosins I have shot are not accurate with the bayonet removed no matter what ammo is used. The weight on the end of the barrel acts as a damper on the floating barrel. I doubt yours will shoot well with the bipod.
    So the bipod is useless? And using 7.62x39 bullets is better? And that is a very neat picture, I have never had the chance to go hunting or anything like that, only target shooting.

?

A bipod mounted on the barrel especially at the muzzle will ruin any accuracy the rifle might have. If you look at precision rifles the bipod if they have one is always mounted on the stock, and the barrel is left to vibrate unobstructed. This way it can return to the exact place it was at before the shot was taken and the next shot will in theory ( leaving out other variables ) be in exactly the same spot as the first.

124 grn 7.62 bullets are much more accurate and flat shooting (especially when used with the fast BLC-2 powder ) than the heavy bullets. There is a lot of muzzle blast from the barrel of the M-44 carbines with a huge orange fireball. The charge I gave above is only a starting load. With my experiments accuracy decreased with increased charges, this is normal. There is a 1 1/2 " drop in the POI between 100 and 200 yds.

If there is anyone shooting near you at the range they will move away from you if you are shooting this load. To onlookers it looks like the rifle is about to explode lol.

Well, you are correct about the ammo. However, one uses what one has. Learn to adapt to your terain and overcome the obstacles. Want to hear about the 53" rack kill? Shot with open sites at 500 yards, open tundra, TOK-Alaska. Ammo used-surplus Albanian 7.62 x 54 I purchased at a gun show. 1000 rds at 90 USD. These were not FMJ but lead tipped. I scored a heart/lung shot, the beast "jumped" walked 20 feet and fell.
    The Brown Bear was taken on Lake Tustamena, Kenai Pennisula with the Carbine version. 75 yards, open sites, dense woodland, with Russian re-loaded "wolf". These were FMJ. Heart/lung/center of mass chest. Bear "jumped", came after me, then dropped. I barely had time to drop my mosin, pull 12 GA assault shot gun out of scabbard, chamber a slug, and get a line of site on the beast. He dropped within 25 feet of me. Lesson learned, don't hunt those animals at 75 yards.

About the bipod---those Mosin long rifles are designed for trench warefare. Bipod, sand bags, down trees, berm of "fox hole", etc are excellent for increasing stability for long range. In the USMC I was never good at the "standing" position on the rifle range. I have used bi-pods on a variety of rifles. I have never experienced misfortune in scoring "bull's eye's" using the bi-pods.
    AS far as the 3 foot muzzle flash from the carbine, it is REAL COOL. Experienced shooters at ranges don't worry about muzzle flash. The good ol' Albanian ammo is good for fireworks whether using the long rifle or the carbine. From experience, you don't feel the recoil, experience blinding from muzzle flash, or the loudness when you have a hungry brown bear, just got out of hybernation, headed to the river for a fish dinner- in your sights!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast