MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Museum Guns 'negelected'

Article about: Here is one reason for not donating anything to a museum.. I call in 'CAPTIVITY' all guns in a Museum...BILL Tulsa World: State sued over museum

?

Default Re: Museum Guns 'negelected'

This is horrible news.

I have been to visit the J.M. Davis Collection and it is truly unique.

I hope that the weapons can be preserved and on display for others to enjoy like i did.

I can heartily recommend a visit to this collection

A few pics in random order

Sorry for the reflections in the pics but they are hard to avoid with the effing glass

Thanks for sharing Scout,that is the most impressive collection I have seen.WOW

Stunning! I really liked the outlaws weapons on display.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Indeed. The outlaw guns were a seperate collection that Davis bought at some point. Sort of a collection in the collection.

Anything the Goverment has its hands in is a failure!

?

The biggest problem with the Davis museum is that it has never had a professional Director/Curator. A person trained in museum science. The collection has been overseen by good old boys since its inception.
    I live 60 miles northeast of Claramore and knew Lee Good and the other fellow I can't recall his name at the moment, the first 2 directors. I did not know the fellow that took over after Lee died but the bastard stole every good Japanese samurai sword in the place leaving just the WWII military junk. At least a dozen SA daggers that I know of are gone, many of the German military beer steins were gone, plus numerous other items. The current director is a retired cop. DUH !!!!! I have spoken with him and a few of the board members in depth about what the facility needs. The first thing is a COMPLETE inventory of the collection and strict control of access to same, but talking to a trained museologist scares the crap out of them. The cop doesnt have a clue as to how to bring the museum out of the dumps. Even with the losses the facility has had it is still the premier firearms collection in the world right in the heart of what was the Indian nations. In my opinion all of the old hands that are not museum trained need to be let go and a professional staff hired. The physical facility needs to be expanded and the old building brought up to snuff. Then a program for raising funds for endowments. Hell guys we are in the heart of Oklahoma oil country and getting some cash for a facility endowment and other museum needs would be a walk in the park. It is not a strech to turn the Davis collection into a facility as impressive as the Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma city. If you have never been to the Cowboy Hall of Fame in OK City do if you get a chance. It was started by John Wayne and other heavy hitters in the late 60's and is world class.
    Oh well the powers to be do not want to listen to any common sense proposals to turn the museum around. At the moment it is the blind leading the blind. But I sure as hell do not want to see it go.
    Steve Ray MA,EdS
    Northeast Oklahoma.

Scout, Thanks for showing the Museum collection what a wonderful and amazing collection.. I hope it gets some good direction from a dedicated museum director...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Talking Re: Museum Guns 'negelected'

Thanks Bill. I am only happy to show the pics to people here who appreciate them. I have loads more - if not of the Davis Collection, then some other collections/museums etc (it is what I do). I will see if I have some other interesting ones from the Davis Collection and post them.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Thanks Bill. I am only happy to show the pics to people here who appreciate them. I have loads more - if not of the Davis Collection, then some other collections/museums etc (it is what I do). I will see if I have some other interesting ones from the Davis Collection and post them.
    Please post more, and some picts. from other Museums that you have visited....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Great pics. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

What is the MAS above the MAS38? Is it the angle? Mag looks shorter and wider than the 32 French Long. I know they made several prototypes. Do you have any close ups

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast