Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Museum Guns 'negelected'

Article about: Here is one reason for not donating anything to a museum.. I call in 'CAPTIVITY' all guns in a Museum...BILL Tulsa World: State sued over museum

?

Default Re: Museum Guns 'negelected'

copdoc, that one escaped my attention (there are so many firearms in the collection). Now that you mention it, I see your point - mag looks to big.
    Sorry no closeups of that one.

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    copdoc, that one escaped my attention (there are so many firearms in the collection). Now that you mention it, I see your point - mag looks to big.
    Sorry no closeups of that one.
    Thanks for looking again. I love digital cameras for museums. I shoot a high res photos of the guns and usually have more time to look when I get back. The drawback is I often wish I had a close up of some of them.

That is an intersting MAS. Looks big enough to be 30 Carbine calibre. I think they may have made a few prototypes in 30 Carb but would be surprised to see one in that museum. Any French sub gun experts out there?

I am a curator of a small museum in SW Ohio and sadly what you say is true about museum collections being what I call mistreated. When I began working for the local historical society I got a tour of the storage facility. It was full of military items!!! I am a huge military buff as well as a gun collector. They had cases full of Civil War sabers, flags, and fighting knives that had not been cleaned since the 1960's one such knif was a bolo from the spanish American war it was in its leather sheath and it is probably ruined. Nvertheless I volunteered my time to go into the basement and clean everything and hope things were not too badly pitted. There was only one WWII era weapon and that was a Jap rifle with a last ditch bayonet, sling, and wire sighting bipod thing. Plus the mum is still on it! Probably the only one I'll ever get to shoulder, admire, and clean unless by some luck I find one someday. There was also a complete WWI infantry uniform that was in a box that had been damaged by water. Everything down to the leggings but it was probably worthless. I did as best I could to save these items and I still get the chance to keep an eye on them but like you say if it wasn't for a collector like me coming along they get neglected. This has to do with the people in charge. I was told we are not a military museum so we can't display military items. This is true but even if you don't display them they should be preserved thats why people give us these things. Also I urge people to volunteer at their local museums because sometimes museums don't know how to handle items like guns. My boss didn't even know they made oil just for guns let alone how to use it!

?

A few more pics from the J.M. Davis Collection as promised

The following two pics are taken through the glass into a storage room where guns that are not on display are kept!

Bet you would notice this Panzerbüchse going of!

?

Yet another one. Would be nice to have in the living room, though I guess SWMBO would not be to keen on that idea

Suber
    ?

I have been told that there is a very extensive WWII collection of weapons, helmets, and uniforms at the War College (Carlisle). Is this one open to the public?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3