Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My Arisaka T99 Rifle

Article about: My cleaning job did the trick and now my rifle is chambering snapcaps without a problem. I'll bring the rifle to my gunsmith tomorrow and he can tell me if 1. the ammo is to blame, 2. if the

Default Re: My Arisaka T99 Rifle

My cleaning job did the trick and now my rifle is chambering snapcaps without a problem. I'll bring the rifle to my gunsmith tomorrow and he can tell me if 1. the ammo is to blame, 2. if there is a headspace issue, or 3. if my rifle had been rechambered to a different caliber postwar...

UPDATE!

It turns out that my gunsmith sold me bad ammo. He didn't do it with malicious intent, he just wanted to give me cheap ammo for plinking...

So! I got some better ammo, gave my rifle a good cleaning and lube job, and took my rifle out today to shoot it for the first time. AMAZING!

Here's a vid:

Well it looks like everything worked for you Giz. Besides the ammo I'm fairly certain you had a fouled chamber too. What you described is a very common problem where the bullett stays in the barrel when extracting a live round. I have never fired any of my Japanese guns, I just don't trust these rifles or pistols personally. I base this on the fact that the Japanese really did not put much effort into their weaponry since they were so full of themselves and though they were so superior they did not need to. I'm sure they would work fine it's just a personal choice of mine. I fire all of my other military rifles and pistols, US and European ocassionally which I really enjoy. Still a nice rifle and bayonet. Good price too.

Burt

Thanks, Burt!

You're absolutely right. Bad ammo and fouled chamber was exactly what happened. I'm very pleased with my Arisaka... I literally just got a cleaning rod and sling(aged repro) in the mail. Now begins the hunt for a monopod, the anti-aircraft sights, dust cover, and muzzle guard.

Thanks for your help!

Just sent you a PM with a number for Ariska parts.

Burt

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    Just sent you a PM with a number for Ariska parts.

Burt
    Thanks Burt, I appreciate it!

Attached the monopod and dust cover today.

My Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 Rifle

Looking good!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Looking good!

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks, Ade!

The monopod and dustcover are repros made by the Numrich gun parts company which is luckily only located about 20mins away from me. It looks like if I ever need spare parts for any gun I have, all I need to do is take a short trip down the road.

They're quality repros... but the dust cover makes the bolt action a little sticky, and the monopod isn't the most stable shooting platform... I can def. understand why its rumored that Japanese soldiers removed these parts or that G.I.s got rid of these parts as they worked on their Arisaka war trophies.

Now all I need now is the anti-aircraft sight. My only option for this is an authentic part. The price of these depends on demand... I've seen them sell for under $50 or over $100 depending on how many people are bidding on the auction sites for them...

It's complete!

Beautiful day today in NY!

My Arisaka T99 Rifle

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast