Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

My Austrian Steyr 1917, can you tell if it was "Germanified"?

Article about: Hello, here is Julekpl again. Thank you for your information last time regarding the Steyr 1917. I won it at auction, and it seems to be firing capable. I have taken it apart and cleaned it

Default My Austrian Steyr 1917, can you tell if it was "Germanified"?

Hello, here is Julekpl again.

Thank you for your information last time regarding the Steyr 1917. I won it at auction, and it seems to be firing capable. I have taken it apart and cleaned it as well. Even the removable barrel has the same serial (2733s) as the rest of the gun. I would like to take it to the firing range, however I don't know which 9mm bullets to use, the Parabelum (if "Germanified") 9mm, or the Austrian (is the Austrian 9mm bullet any different than any other 9mm?) 9mm. I have not seen any German signs on the gun, however there are many letter "K" in certain spots. I have also seen a few Austrian eagles in places as well. I have added a few pictures, and I have also taken a picture of the bore. Is it possible to tell if it was changed just by looking at the bore?

Thanks!

My Austrian Steyr 1917, can you tell if it was "Germanified"? My Austrian Steyr 1917, can you tell if it was "Germanified"? My Austrian Steyr 1917, can you tell if it was "Germanified"? My Austrian Steyr 1917, can you tell if it was "Germanified"? My Austrian Steyr 1917, can you tell if it was "Germanified"?

Default Re: My Austrian Steyr 1917, can you tell if it was "Germanified"?

Your Steyr was originally chambered in 9mm Steyr and that is all that should be fired from it. If it was one of the guns reworked by the Germans to fire 9mm Parabellum, there would be markings such as an "08" somewhere on the side of it. And, even if it Had been, they were never really Safe to shoot all that much, as they had a firing pin retention problem. The firing pins were held in by only a machined lug on the bottom of the retractor and these guns were known to have their firing pins blow out the rear of the side when used with 9mm Luger Parabellum ammo.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hello, Your Steyr has not been convereted by the Germans to fire 9mm Luger rounds... I posted one that had been converted, search the post and check out the markings on one that has been Germanified...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

You need to shoot 9mm Steyr ammo in this one.... New mfg. ammo by can be found at most gun shows....BILL
    Last edited by Bill Grist; 10-29-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Neat looking old pistols, those - nice find.

Pit.

Oh thank you all.

One of my friends has a steyr 1914 without the "08" marking but his was in fact converted. I just hope the 9mm steyr aren't as expensive as my Russian nagant revolver ammo.

and I don't see any "08" markings anywhere, I just hope I didn't pay too much :\

Attachment 416453

9mm Steyr is getting kind of tougher to find now. Just doing a quick internet sweep, I found only 1 source that was handling it in stock, and it was 30 bucks for a box of 50. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/23600
    You'd probably be better off as Bill said, looking at a gun show!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Beautiful looking gun. Congrats.