Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

My British 1842 Pattern Musket

Article about: Hello Guys, This is the first of the individual photos of my latest addition of 4 guns. This is an 1842 Pattern Smooth bore. This was a weapon still in service when the rest of Europe was ad

Default My British 1842 Pattern Musket

Hello Guys,
    This is the first of the individual photos of my latest addition of 4 guns.
    This is an 1842 Pattern Smooth bore. This was a weapon still in service when the rest of Europe was advancing their weapon designs. The slow development had a lot to do with Wellingtons attitude "If it was good enough to fight the Frogs with then its good enough today"

This is in nice condition and is Tower stamped and dated 1845 and is complete with its ram rod and Lovell catch for the bayonet.

The problems with muskets up to this period was that they were literally hand made and parts could not be interchanged. The bayonet was also designed to fit a specific musket. That said my two I have in my collection fit one with a slight movement but eith the Lovell catch it is tight.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My British 1842 Pattern Musket   My British 1842 Pattern Musket  

My British 1842 Pattern Musket   My British 1842 Pattern Musket  

My British 1842 Pattern Musket  

Default Re: My British 1842 Pattern Musket

Good example-difficult to find black powder weapons in good order-corrosive stuff that needs constant thorough cleaning to maintain.

Hi,
    lovely musket you have, i like the history of them am i right you dont need a ticket to own one of those ?.
    Dave.

Cool Re: My British 1842 Pattern Musket

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi,
    lovely musket you have, i like the history of them am i right you dont need a ticket to own one of those ?.
    Dave.
    Hello Dave,
    Correct mate! These are classed as obsolete weapons. If you decide to shoot it then you do need a license.

Regards
    Paratrooper

Here in WA a pre 1900 made muzzle loader doesn't need to be licensed, partly on the basis that no one would be likely to fire a 150 year or older weapon, time and somewhat primitive metallurgy being what they are as well as the value of an original weapon. On the other hand my Parker Hale made Enfield P 1853 repro does have to be licensed.