Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My Carcano Moschetto Mod. 91/28

Article about: by Walkwolf Sounds like your gunshop found you a rather rare gem.........! Regardless, I really like it - it's in such fabulous condtion ! Did you find out from the site which bayonet to use

Default Re: My Carcano Moschetto Mod. 91/28

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Sounds like your gunshop found you a rather rare gem.........!

Regardless, I really like it - it's in such fabulous condtion !
    Did you find out from the site which bayonet to use ?
    Thanks, Steve! I'm very excited about my Carcano and I can't wait to shoot it! It really is in good shape... I took off all of the furniture and the bluing is damn near close to 100%.

All I need to get is a smaller diameter cleaning rod (my .30 cal rod doesn't fit down the barrel...)

Yes, I did find out about the bayonet. They said I need just a regular 1891 style bayonet (like the one I already have). They are not quite sure why my bayo doesn't fit, but they recommended keeping it because it's been modified into fighting knife. They suggested just getting another bayo and trying it on for size.

The expert stands corrected!

New information about my rifle:
    I learn something everyday whether I want to or not. I checked with my friend in Italy who is a true Carcano die hard collector. He tells me the K is in fact for Krupp. Seems steel was stockpiled and used when fresh supplies were scarce. So the barrel was made from pre-WW1 Krupp steel by Beretta in 1932 and put on a receiver made by Terni.

Until now I had only ever seen Krupp steel used on antique Torino rifles. It was also used for artillery and naval gun barrels. As mentioned, Italy & Germany were on opposite sides in WW1, and Italy's undelivered Krupp steel was siezed for internal use.

Learned something else - the scarcest of the scarce steel codes? V for Vickers. Take notes, Friends! This information appears in no books! Ren

I got a smaller diameter cleaning rod and finally was able to give my Carcano a proper cleaning and lube job.

I guess it wasn't as clean as I thought...
    My Carcano Moschetto Mod. 91/28

NOW IT REALLY IS CLEAN!

It's snowing now, but I am hoping to take it out this afternoon to shoot it for the first time. If so, I will take pics and maybe a video.

Long term storage means grease/heavy oil in the barrel and action-attracts dirt like a magnet when they're moved-many Carcanos were refurbished and sold off post WW2 either as surplus to the civil market or to govts for military/police use eg Israel.

I had a problem with the extractor on my rifle, but I got it all sorted out. I took my rifle out to shoot for the first time today:

Good stuff Joe - She's a beauty.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Good stuff Joe - She's a beauty.........!
    Thanks! I'm very pleased with it. The en bloc clip falling out before the 6th shot is pretty cool!

You guys may notice I can't hold the rifle properly... Old football injury.

You mean your left hand on the forestock ?
    Regards,

Steve.

Unfair! I was waiting for pics of the GF in the Alpini helmet shooting it! lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

You mean your left hand on the forestock ?
    Yup. You can see that with my arm close to my body, I can rotate the hand palm up to hold the rifle. With my arm extended, I can't rotate it palm up.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Unfair! I was waiting for pics of the GF in the Alpini helmet shooting it! lol
    Have patience! She lives about an hr away from me... so the next time she comes to visit, that will be ontop of my to-do list (it wont be on the top of her list...)!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast