Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My CMP M1 Rifle

Article about: @ Paul & Steve, very nice Garands guys... Regards, Thanos.

Default My CMP M1 Rifle

As long as we're on the subject, I thought I'd share mine. Was at the range today and took some pics. My reciever was made in july of 1944 by Springfield Armory, the barrel was replaced, it's marked S-A-5-50. I replaced the rear sight bar with the proper Type 3 lock bar, and the trigger guard with the proper sramped part for this date. The op rod has the ww2 rounded side, so outwardly, it looks close to what it did when it left the factory. I decided to hold on to this one after I saw the prices at the last gun show, plus I wanted one for a display I'm working on for my dads time in service. I had to resize the pics, so I apologize if they aren't as clear.

My CMP M1 Rifle
    My CMP M1 RifleMy CMP M1 Rifle

the proof mark is still thre, but the inspectors cartouche is long gone
    My CMP M1 Rifle
    the stock is pretty beat up from handling mostly, but it looks like it's been through some stuff, that's what I like about it.

Default Re: My CMP M1 Rifle

Beautiful rifle! I can only hope that the one I get from the CMP will be half as nice!

Thank you, I bought it a ta gunshow, the guy only sells M1s. I think he has some kind of deal with the CMP, unless they don't have any kind of limit now, but at least he doesn't go crazy on the prices. It is nice to be able to look them over before you buy.

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    It is nice to be able to look them over before you buy.
    That's exactly why I want to purchase my Garand through the CMP. Local gunshops never seem to have more than 2 or 3 Garands in stock at any given time, and it always seems as if each rifle has something wrong with it. I have yet to find the perfect Garand for me.

I have also heard about Garands w/ faulty repro parts, welded barrels, etc. I'm hoping the CMP will help me avoid all that crap!

True, the CMP doesn't use after market parts, except for the stocks. They do have some rifles with new made stocks, the parts are starting to dry up. A good source I've found are the books by Scott Duff, they have all the drawing numbers, serial numbers, all the info you could want. You could buy a rifle and then add the parts so it would look like it did the day it left the factory, but that will cost you, I tried it once. You do want to watch out for the welded recievers. At one point they were detroying the rifles and torch cut the recievers, then people were buying these and welding them, that's where knowing about the drawing numbers comes in handy. I've not heard of the CMP selling these. I'm not sure if they still have ony of the "correct" grade left, but all of the rifles have been taken apart and put back together with parts from different rifles, plus some parts were not used, like the lock bar sights. I had to buy mine and put it on my rifle. just look for Scott Duff, his garand ww2 book has all the info you'd need. It is in paperback, and has a blue cover.

Thanks for the valuable info, Paul!

?

Nice Garand, congrats.

You're welcome Joe, I don't know much, but I'll help where I can. Thanks Sam

Nice M1. Below is the rear of the receiver on mine, showing the
    serial number - I believe it is also a CMP rebuild.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My CMP M1 Rifle  
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve, your SN would place it's build date sometime in March 1945. Looks like it still has a decent finsih

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast