Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My CMP M1 Rifle

Article about: @ Paul & Steve, very nice Garands guys... Regards, Thanos.

Default Re: My CMP M1 Rifle

Lol - Actually, it looks mint.......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My CMP M1 Rifle   My CMP M1 Rifle  

My CMP M1 Rifle   My CMP M1 Rifle  

My CMP M1 Rifle   My CMP M1 Rifle  

My CMP M1 Rifle  
    Regards,

Steve.

Wow, when you put it that way, it most certainly does!! That's a sweet rifle Steve!! The cartouche on the stock they started using in the 50s,now I can't remember exactly when. I have to dig out my books lol

I would be interested to know, because for years I thought it was an
    original, unissued, late war or very early post-war rifle. I believe
    the barrel is marked '9-45'. The serial showed as 'unknown'
    in the booklet 'Know Your Garand'.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-22-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

I'm almost positive that the bird and stars cartouche signifies a post WWII rearsenal job.

According to Scott Duff, your reciever was most likely built in March of 1945, the SNs for that month began with 3627442 and April of '45 started with 3717867. From what I've found, the eagle with the 3 stars cartouche was used from june of '53 until June of '57, with the P on the pistol grip. The parts might have been refinished, but all rifles that were isssued, were refurbed at one time or another. It may have been refurbed by Springfield, and stored and never reissued. In dec of '45 the armory recieved an order to begin canning the rifles for long term storage. here's a link about that
    Springfield Armory Museum - Collection Record,. It may have come from one of these storage units. That is also the Springfield armory museum site, it has some good stuff.

Well, thanks Paul. That is the best/most information I have ever read
    or been able to find out about these refurb M1's.

The guy I bought it from back in the mid 1980's was the author of
    a book called "US RIFLE M14; From John Garand To The M21".
    I suspect he likely purchased it from the Springfield Armory
    while he was there doing research.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-22-2012 at 04:11 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

You're welcome Steve, I think it pays to go to the source That was the first time I found their site, it was always one of those things I meant to do "someday" lol It ould be neat to find out the journey the rifles took. I'm going to see what they have on there and see how much I can find out myself.

So... I'm torn... Part of me wants to save money and just buy a modest Garand when I make my trip to the CMP. The other part of me wants to cut loose and pick up a realllllly nice one.

They should have different grades to choose from at the store, I know on the website all theprices are set, I'm not sure if they price according to a nicer rifle in the same grade at the store. Like a difference in price for 2 different service grades, but one with a nicer finish than another. Around here, most gunshow prices are about 275 bucks more than the CMP for an average example. I'd get some books and read up on them, then decide what you want, a ww2 piece, a shooter or something like that. I wanted a ww2 reciever for something I'm putting together, now I need a manequin for that project. It's always something lol

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    They should have different grades to choose from at the store, I know on the website all theprices are set, I'm not sure if they price according to a nicer rifle in the same grade at the store. Like a difference in price for 2 different service grades, but one with a nicer finish than another. Around here, most gunshow prices are about 275 bucks more than the CMP for an average example. I'd get some books and read up on them, then decide what you want, a ww2 piece, a shooter or something like that. I wanted a ww2 reciever for something I'm putting together, now I need a manequin for that project. It's always something lol
    Essentially what I want is Garand that'll be a great shooter with a WWII vintage receiver. I don't mind if the other stuff is from a post-WWII rebuild, as long as they're USGI parts.

I want it to be in similar condition to my M1 Carbine.... They'll be brothers!

My CMP M1 RifleMy CMP M1 RifleMy CMP M1 RifleMy CMP M1 Rifle

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast