Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My deac's so far

Article about: hi Ryan great looking rifle i see it still has its capture screws so the russians didnt mess with it , i agree with ade the colour is original , just a gentle clean with white spirrit and th

ian
    ?

Default Re: My deac's so far

hi Ade you have a beutiful k98 there ,i believe yours is known as a dark wood lamenate , so mabe your right about Ryans , lets see what he comes back with , im enjoying this mate cheers ian
    best clarify again ,i believe the "red glue lamenate is beech " dark wood lamenate is wallnut " ?

Got my book out on the K98.

Pre war stocks were solid Walnut. The first trials to replace these dwindling wood supplies started in 1937. Solid Beech and Maple were tried but found to warp. Elm was found to be good but supplies were short. In the end a Beech laminate was chosen, although a bit heavier than the original solid Walnut stocks, the rejection rate due to warpage was only between 1.5% to 2%. Beech was then used throughout the war. A small number of "K" serial number range Byf made K98's assembled in 1943 had Oak stocks.

Cheers, Ade.

Ok then lol the k98's getting a bit of attention! Right it was deactivated 22/01/2010 by world wide arms. Now I didn't buy it off them, I bought it off someone else who did and as far as I know all they're k98's are being bought straight out of storage in eastern Europe IE russian capture! It hasn't got electro stencil numbers, they all look like they've been stamped but it's mismatched parts like the bolt, receiver and magazine well plus the front sight hood is missing as is the cleaning rod.

As for the stock........ There is a lovely deep red patina but the rest of the wood is grubby, so I cleaned it with boiling water and a stiff bristled dish brush to get the dirt loosened off and........... there is no lacquer on it!

The wood is suffering after 65 odd years in storage so that's why im asking about takeing care of it, I rubbed olive oil into it after I let it dry out from the cleaning.
    Ryan

Forgot to add, she's a 1944 bcd (gustloffe werke) made gun with waffenamt's still intact, thanks
    Ryan

ian
    ?

hi ryan looks like it was just put in store with no attempt at presevation by the russians ,if thats the case then the nice dark colour is good boiled linseed oil is the best thing for stocks i believe , wipe it on let it dry and buff with a cloth ,do that a couple of times and it will look after the wood for you
    good thing it has no elec stenceling it looks auful , put up some more pics if you have the time id love to see more of it .cheers ian (squeek squeek) ade knows what that meens

put up some more pics if you have the time id love to see more of it .cheers ian
    Not a problem, I'll put some up tomorrow when I get the chance Thanks
    Ryan

Quote by ian View Post
    hi ryan looks like it was just put in store with no attempt at presevation by the russians ,if thats the case then the nice dark colour is good boiled linseed oil is the best thing for stocks i believe , wipe it on let it dry and buff with a cloth ,do that a couple of times and it will look after the wood for you
    good thing it has no elec stenceling it looks auful , put up some more pics if you have the time id love to see more of it .cheers ian (squeek squeek) ade knows what that meens

I would rub it down with linseed oil too..............

Use it sparingly, to see how it looks.

Linseed will bring out the grain in the wood nicely without killing the overall finish.

Regards,

Steve.

?

I think linseed oil is the best finish of all but it takes time to do.

This P14 bitsa is finished with linseed oil.

Here you go, more pics as asked for
    Attached Images Attached Images My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far 

And a few more. Did I mention the fore sight hood was missing as is the the cleaning rod? And just one for fun I call him 'Herr Bear'
    Attached Images Attached Images My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far  My deac's so far 

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast