MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My deac's so far

Article about: hi Ryan great looking rifle i see it still has its capture screws so the russians didnt mess with it , i agree with ade the colour is original , just a gentle clean with white spirrit and th

ian
    ?

Default Re: My deac's so far

hi Ryan great looking rifle i see it still has its capture screws so the russians didnt mess with it , i agree with ade the colour is original , just a gentle clean with white spirrit and then a few coats of boiled linseed oil and it will be a sight to behold , let us now how you get on cheers ian
    original sight hoods and rods are out there to be had , but there are a lot of repro about so be carefull,my hood and rod are repro but money,s tight so i had to go with those

I'll replace them sometime with original but i think I'll just get repro for the time being till something comes up, I've got a repro sling fitted as you can probably tell from the pics.

What linseed oil do you think would be best? because when I used to play hurley I would soak the hurl (bat) in raw linseed oil to give it strength and a bit of weight, thanks
    Ryan

ian
    ?

boiled is best i think for stocks ,its not so greasy and the first coat will soak in easier ,it allso dryes faster and is easier to buff up , i would think 3 coats would give you a loverly finnish ,but not to shinney ,more like an egg shell than gloss,if you want a gloss finnish just keep aplying and buffing till you get the finnish YOU want , it will feed and protect the wood for many many years
    cheers ian

Lovely will have to get some tomorrow, thanks for all your advice Ian, just another thing, do you not think it's wierd that the capture screws are still there and there is no lacquer although it seems it's an RC?
    Ryan

ian
    ?

ryan i forgot to say dont forget to remove all the metalwork that can be removed and dont dry the linseed by heat only natural drying otherwise the stock may warp...no i dont see it as strange that some k98,s were not messed with , i think some of them were stored to be used as deniable supply ie to the vietcong and the like . during the cold war time everything was "deniable"
    we did it so did the US ,K98,s have turned up all over the world cheers ian

?

I think it will take more than three coats to get it even. I have found that that certain areas soak up loads and other areas practically nothing. The P14 that I posted of pic of earlier has had over twenty coats.

ian
    ?

yea Mick i agree but i advised him that way so that the "old"stays with the wood and if you re read i said "keep going till you get the finnish you want"ie sattin or gloss ,but i dont think to shinny would be apropriate for a k98 yes for a no4 or a p14/17 cheers ian
    if it stays dull to sattin i dont think eveness would be a huge issue,more genttle cleening and presevation

?

They way to protect the wood is to give it as much as it will take. they way to get rid of the shiny is to rub it down with fine wire wool when it has set hard.

ian
    ?

mick a good point but i dont believe that renovation as such is what he,s after
    just a gentle clean and a some protection , so i think gently does it is the answer in this case ,other wise i agree with you entirely ,a linseed finneshed stock done properly is a work of art cheers ian

Yeah I just want to clean it up a bit to get the grubby look away, I still want the used look not quite the abused look lol, thanks for the wise words

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast