Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My Father Southern France 1945

Article about: My father William T. Grist on the right in Southern France January 1945 with his 1928A1 Thompson Submachine Gun... Unit 901st. Ordnance HAM... And he still alive an well at 88 yrs......BILL

Default Re: My Father Southern France 1945

Bill-
    I see you have a strong resemblance to your Dad. A great picture. It appears that the jeep in the picture was modified to transport either a generator or a large piece of communication equipment.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Bill-
    I see you have a strong resemblance to your Dad. A great picture. It appears that the jeep in the picture was modified to transport either a generator or a large piece of communication equipment.
    Bob,
    The device in the back of the jeep is an electric arc welder made by the Hobart Mfg. Co. The welding outfit is a gasoline engine-driven arc welder. It is self-contained, powered by a Chrysler Industrial, 6-cylinder, self-starting engine connected directly to a welding generator. These units were also equipped with an auxiliary 3-kw power generator to provide power for lights and equipment such as lathes, grinders, drills, etc. . The unit weighed 2000 lbs... Here is another picture of him in a Tank Retreiver So. France 1945...BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Father Southern France 1945  
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

I have an old Disel powered Hobart welder just like that one! (made in 1940 i think) and it still works! i use it to weld at my mine

?

Very nice pictures.

ace
    ?

awsome picture bill we owe so much to people like your dad , i just wished they would teach kids more about wat people like ure dad did for us all , kids have no idea today what people went through to save us .

Thanks for sharing the pictures Bill and the information on the welder.I think the truck your father is seated in, is an INTERNATIONAL TRUCK 5-TON 4x2 TRACTOR used to haul a 10ton semi-trailer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2