Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My FN Browning Hi Power

Article about: The holster thread for Hi Powers got activated and it reminded me to ask about the grips I had. I wanted to post some before/after pics of my pistol. I got it from my father-in-law, a WWII v

?

Default My FN Browning Hi Power

The holster thread for Hi Powers got activated and it reminded me to ask about the grips I had. I wanted to post some before/after pics of my pistol. I got it from my father-in-law, a WWII vet who was in the Navy and nowhere near Europe. He acquired it after he got back to the US. By that point it had been nickel plated - a common thing for war trophy pistols here in the US. Here's what it looked like when I got it.

My FN Browning Hi Power

The plating had started to peel in places so I decided to try to get it restored - I figured I could not really hurt the value unless I destroyed the pistol. I found a gunsmith who was able to slow etch the plating and then refinish the pistol without losing the markings. I had the original grips plus a set of wooden ones from somewhere. Here are the pics taken today.

My FN Browning Hi Power

My FN Browning Hi Power

My FN Browning Hi Power

My FN Browning Hi Power

My FN Browning Hi Power

The grips are marked on the inside with what lookes like the letters CL inside a bullet-shaped symbol. Original?

Default Re: My FN Browning Hi Power

I think the wood grips would me more appropriate, the plastic grips have a cut out for the lanyard ring which you dont have. Thinking about it, could you have got mixed up and the wood are original and the plastic you've acquired? Looking closely at the plastic grips, I suspect they are Canadian Inglis, the post war Browning Herstal grips have what I can only describe as a smooth border around the edge of the cut out for the lanyard ring.

Nicely re-finished HP, and hardly any damage to the markings at all,
    which is a plus - these 'Occupation' models were inferior in fit and
    finish to pre-war and post-war types.

The grips are indeed Canadian Inglis. It will look ok in this
    configuration until you find an original set of WWII
    grip panels - if that is your intention - in either
    wood or brown plastic.

It's your choice - what looks better to you.........?
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 01-29-2013 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Additional text.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

You know what - I just realized what happened. One of the originals were broken so I picked up what I thought was a correct set - and realized they were not after I got them. I stuck then in a drawer several years ago and pulled them out last night not remembering.

Anyone know a source for correct grips?

Personally, I like wood grips better - but these war-time
    pistols do not come up for sale often.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I've got some 32 round magazines for this I need to get rid of. Let me know if you want some.

These look reasonable, but may need darkening as they are a little light in my opinion

Browning Hi Power HP 35 Factory Grips Walnut | eBay

I've been looking for a set of FN post war versions with the lanyard ring cut out, if I wanted non lanyard ring versions I'd have been sorted by now but the lanyard ring versions are like hens teeth at the moment.

Good looking High power.
    The guy didn't do too bad a job of refinnishing it.
    After the war a lot of "War Trophies" were nickel plated. I have seen lugers, P38's and 45 done this way. What a shame to do all that work nickeling them and late on being informed you just ruined the value.
    Well I guess when your 19 years old and bring back a trunk load of them from the war it doesn't matter.
    Thnaks for sharing.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Wooooooooooood