Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My full auto MG42

Article about: I own an all original worn finish and matching MG42 bring back from WW2. Luckily it was registered before the 1968 and 1986 cutoffs, so it is civilian ownable. This thing has a ridiculously

?

That is a beaut. I had a buddy that used to live here that joined the BP and has since moved to the eastern side of our GREAT state . He had been serving in the sand box with KBR and was back in town and invited me to a shoot we had in the deserts just out of town. He had an AWESOME collection of MG's and Sub Guns and along with his fellow SOT's this shoot was just amazing.They had them all!!!!! I bought a case of Romanian 8mm just to have some trigger time. Not only did he have 2 MG 42's his buddy brought his out. So they had who's was faster test. Needless to say it was a BLAST!!!!

Congrats on having that great piece if history.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

About 30 years ago I owned one manufactured in 1944, it was the most problematic machine gun I have ever owned. Back then spare parts were hard to find for these so I got rid of it trading for a Thompson and a Browning 1919A4, which were later traded for an all matching MG34. Now if there is a "holy grail of World War 2 German weapons" the MG34 is it as far as I am concerned just can't beat that old world quality in the machining and design. The MG34 I have now, a DFB 1941, fired flawlessly the first time out to the range and every time since.

?

Question

I have had an MG 42 since about 1961. At one time I had 3 and an MG 34.
    The 34 is ok, but I like the 42 better. As to the comment about not being able to shoot the 42 less than 3 or 4 rd per trigger squeeze - I can consistantly shoot mine doubles and quite regularily single shot.
    I like shooting my 42 from the tripod. I have both the ground mount/scope and the AA tripod.
    Sarge

Quote by Sarge View Post
    I have had an MG 42 since about 1961. At one time I had 3 and an MG 34.
    The 34 is ok, but I like the 42 better. As to the comment about not being able to shoot the 42 less than 3 or 4 rd per trigger squeeze - I can consistantly shoot mine doubles and quite regularily single shot.
    I like shooting my 42 from the tripod. I have both the ground mount/scope and the AA tripod.
    Sarge
    Since 1961? Damn. What did you pay for it back then if you don't mind me asking?

?

Thumbs up

Not sure, but I think I paid $100. It was a lightly dewated gun.
    In 1968 I registered it as an operable and started shooting it.
    Sarge

Quote by Sarge View Post
    Not sure, but I think I paid $100. It was a lightly dewated gun.
    In 1968 I registered it as an operable and started shooting it.
    Sarge
    Wow. Well it has increased in value about 400 times, so congrats on the investment! Care to post any pictures? How was it originally dewatted before you converted it back into a functioning gun in 1968?

?

Thumbs up

The bbl was welded and the change door was tack welded closed. Took me all of 1 min to get the bbl out.
    Here is a photo of the 42 and its bed mates.
    Sarge
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My full auto MG42  

Quote by Sarge View Post
    The bbl was welded and the change door was tack welded closed. Took me all of 1 min to get the bbl out.
    Here is a photo of the 42 and its bed mates.
    Sarge
    Very awesome! Times have changed! Enjoy those beautiful guns!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3