Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My great uncle's bring back Type 99

Article about: Hi all! I have lurked on this forum for a while. I saw the fellow who had a Type 99 brought back from Okinawa. I have a Type 99 bring back as well, but from Saipan. My great uncle was a nava

MAP
    ?

Quote by F4Fanatic View Post
    Thank you MAP! I like the rifles with the Mum, but without is cool to. That is a repro bayonet in the pictures. Soon after that, I acquired a real Japanese bayonet, a Kokura bayonet.
    Nice!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Indeed! I would like to visit Saipan itself one day and explore the island. I've already visited Guam and Okinawa.

?

The Sea Bees were notorious for selling souvenirs to non ground combat personnel.
    I knew 2 gentlemen that were Sea Bees on Saipan and they talked to me about gathering battlefield souvenirs to sell. They also made Japanese flags using any kind of white material ,especially parachutes. They would copy Japanese kanji off of wooden supply and ammo boxes. They said it was quite a small industry that none the less flourished. I am sure there are still flags out there named "24 bottles of Saki"
    That is a great rifle friend.

Nothing beats a family item!

Thanks for showing it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you Adrian and Steve for your kind words. I only wish I had thought to ask my great uncle more about the rifle, when I knew he had it. But, I am content with what I remember and with the rifle. It shoots very well by the way. I've only fired it a couple of times, but it is a well made rifle, IMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2