Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My Gun collection

Article about: Ive posted separate threads on some of my pieces but I thought id make a single thread on the heart of my collection, with a few extras. Unfortunately right now im at a stand still with my c

?

Quote by PRE View Post
    Excellent! That's a great tribute for the major's service.
    No extra pics needed although they'd be well received. I was more interested in why the flag was in the configuration it's in. Thanks for providing the background!
    Best,
    Pat
    You got me thinking about the flag so i did a little extra research on it and these flags were originally issued to officers in a position of command and would have hung outside their office. There are also miniature versions that were flown on their vehicles. But like many things these were given to the officers at wars end as a mementos. The officer that this flag belonged to was stationed in England during the war.

PRE
    ?

I'm always disappointed (but rarely surprised) that family members don't keep these within the family of the service member. These should be a precious item of family history. I have all of my Father's service and training records from WWII, and even a picture of him in his plane just after landing from a mission in the S. Pacific.
    Pat

?

Quote by PRE View Post
    I'm always disappointed (but rarely surprised) that family members don't keep these within the family of the service member. These should be a precious item of family history. I have all of my Father's service and training records from WWII, and even a picture of him in his plane just after landing from a mission in the S. Pacific.
    Pat
    unfortunately some people just dont share the same interests in their history as others. however if all the families kept their heirlooms there would be nothing left for us and we wouldnt have the amazing collections we have today. I as well have all my great uncles uniforms. Another thing to remember though is that sometimes the grandchildren and great grandchildren didnt have that bond with their grandparents and so these items dont have the same meaning to them. Over my short years of collecting ive noticed its almost always the grandchildren and less so the children of the vets who pawn off their families artifacts. However i take pride in anything relating to my family regardless of its age.

Well put phil97. Often the grandchildren have no interest in these items and sell for short money. If they did any research on these pieces they may realize they "gave" them away. Still these items should be kept as treasured heirlooms. Thats my feeling anyway.

PRE
    ?

Quote by Phil97 View Post
    unfortunately some people just dont share the same interests in their history as others. however if all the families kept their heirlooms there would be nothing left for us and we wouldnt have the amazing collections we have today.
    Very good point, I fully agree.
    Pat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2