Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My Mosin 91/30

Article about: They are lots of fun to shoot. I take mine out quite often. Now you need an M44, Joe! And a Nagant revolver. Welcome to the MILSURP sickness. lol

?

Default Re: My Mosin 91/30

They are lots of fun to shoot. I take mine out quite often. Now you need an M44, Joe! And a Nagant revolver. Welcome to the MILSURP sickness. lol

Hi Joe, you are correct about the Tula star on the cocking handle and is typical to find on these later (1960/70's) arsenal rebuilt forced matched guns. What I do love is the rough machining to the reciever and bayonet. These things were needed in a hurry! Looks did not matter.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade,
    Thanks for that live and learn as they say thanks for the info, I to like the rough machining on them commonly known as war finish. But you do have a nice rifle there.
    dave.

Quote by MarkV View Post
    They are lots of fun to shoot. I take mine out quite often. Now you need an M44, Joe! And a Nagant revolver. Welcome to the MILSURP sickness. lol
    I have a sickness and the only cure is more MILSURP! It's my goal to own the main battle rifle of each of the main powers of WW2.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Joe, you are correct about the Tula star on the cocking handle and is typical to find on these later (1960/70's) arsenal rebuilt forced matched guns. What I do love is the rough machining to the reciever and bayonet. These things were needed in a hurry! Looks did not matter.

Cheers, Ade.
    I do like the rough machining too, especially on the bayonet! That's why I took that pic!

So is it safe to say that all of the original serial numbers on my rifle were filed off and everything was restamped 9238?

Hi Joe, most likely the reciever would be the original and virtually everything else would be made to match around that.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I like to compare the early hex receiver MNs to the later mass produced round receivers in terms of quality. It is interesting to see how changes were made both to speed up processing time as well as reduce materials needed.

My Finn M39 is built off an 1898 MN hex receiver that was made under a czarist contract with France at the Chatellerault weapons factory.

It's not so much hex vs round receiver as wartime (post 1940) vs prewar for finish-MN 91/30s were made with hex receivers to use up stocks of existing parts until the mid 30s along with the round ones-you also see 1920s hex dragoon models altered to 91/30 standard as postwar refits-this is mainly the new rear and front sights as the 91/30 is essentially an updated dragoon model. The bayos are serial numbered mainly because the wide manufacturing tolerances mean that a given bayo would be tight on some rifles and loose on others unless factory s/n matched for fit on a particular rifle. The bayo is intended to be on the rifle when shot as the sights are weighted for it-scabbards weren't issued in the Russian/Soviet armies.

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Hi Dave, thanks for the kind words! While my rifle is in good shape, it looks so good in the pictures because of how well I cleaned it/ the poor quality of my cell phone pictures doesnt show the dings and scratches. I'll try to get my digital camera back today to take hi-res images, including the markings on the receiver.

If any of you fine gents from across the pond are ever in the New York City area, contact me and I'll take you shooting!
    Hey man, I live in Brooklyn!

The Mosin bug has also bitten my best friend. Would anyone care to comment on his rifle?

My Mosin 91/30My Mosin 91/30

A good Izhevsk made 1934 production hex 91/30 refurbished post war also at Izhevsk with unusual red/pink highlighting-have you considered getting a Finn example?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast