Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My New 1916 SMLE

Article about: Chaps, I got this today and would like opinions on if possible? The rifle is a SMLE dated 1916 and has the B.S.A makers mark I dont know much about these to be honest but these are my observ

Default Re: My New 1916 SMLE

Does anyone know what the round knurled button is on the top of the rifle? This actually unscrews.
    Ben

Nice Enfield WW1 rifle I had one 1916 dated also several years back they are very accurate mine even had the leather sling dated 1916 with broad arrow. I don't know on the screw mine did not have that feature that I remember. Nice gun Ben. timothy

Cheers Timothy, I have seen a leather dated sling for it as well, and dated 1916. I might see if I can buy it. I will also try and get a 1916 dated bayonet for it to boot
    Ben

nice set of markings on that one Ben. I know not everyone can have a live firer, but I hate it when they are de-activated. It takes the heart and soul from it
    Nice with the magazine cut off too. One of the last mk3's before they turned into Mk3*

4md
    ?

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Does anyone know what the round knurled button is on the top of the rifle? This actually unscrews.

Beautiful rifle Ben,its great to have a matching rifle including the nose cap, I think the knurled button is for a telescopic sight, there is a hole drilled in the charger bridge possibly for the rear mount. I would say its a post war or interwar addition by a shooter.

regards Paul

Great looking rifle, Ben. It is a shame an old dog such as this must be neutered.

Many thanks guys, I think I fell lucky on this one to be honest. @Paul, I was thinking that myself, it was a possible scope mount of some sorts
    Ben

It is a scope mount, not very reliable and probably had a wondering zero everytime it was shot. The rear sight is a renumbered item, looks like it was done in service, the nose cap screw should be a small countersunk head rather than the later large head and I think the wood could be a little later as it doesn't look like the walnut fitted to my 1916 BSA and Enfield. As the chances of finding a SMLE in original condition after almost 100 years is slim, you've got a fine looking service rifle.

Cheers Bobby, that sounds good to me
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2